Oxygen Sensor Question...

thomasw

Hey everybody, got a question about o2 sensors and the jeeps computer in general, I have a 97 cherokee country 135K and i just ordered some new o2 sensors for it, i was outside tinkering with it, as usual, :lol: and i wanted to see how long it would take it for the computer to notice that it wasnt receving a signal from the o2 sensors, so i unplugged the after catalyst one, let it run, no light, drove it down the highway, floored it, etc, NO LIGHT, so i get out, unplug the before catalyst sensor still not engine light. so im bascially assuming that my engine could care less about them dern sensors :shock: i know the actual light works cause i can run the intrument cluster check and all lights come one... what do i need to do to make sure the engine/computer is actually utilizing these sensors!! :idea:

It's utilizing them to adjust the air/fuel ratio regardless wether or not it trips the CE light.

regardless though, that computer should alert you that its not receiving a singal period from the oxygen sesnors, i think ill take it somewhere and get them to scan the electrical signals from them, i dont like the fact that something as important as oxygen sensors wont even trip the light

What Size Tire?

Hi,

First thing to note is that the O2 sensors are ONLY checked for data when the engine is at operating temperatures. Prior to this, the computer will run in a mode which uses default programming and effectively ignores the 02 sensors.

Also, I'm sure the computer does recognize that the sensors aren't outputting a signal. But it could take several driving cycles before it will throw a check engine light. Keep in mind too that there are many things that will set codes but without ever lighting the check engine lamp. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back