paint on bedliner questions

dave123

Has anyone tried this? Wondering if it's any good. Found it for $45.00 a gallon.

BedLinerGallon Surface Compatibility

It says that you have to put it on factory finish. My Jeep interior is Rustoleum flat paint, I'm thinking it may
be a problem? Is there something else in this price range that you would use? My last Jeep had Rhino, and I would
like something like that, but cheaper.

thanx

I can't answer your question, but Im very interested in what your doin! With your old jeep, how much of it did you rhino line? How much did it run ya?

Other Jeep came with Rhino. I liked it a lot, but I hear it's expensive. You probably lookin around $500.00 to get it professionally sprayed on a Jeep.

That is the same liner I used. I originally bought mine at walmart to put on my boat trailer. Worked great for that, so i decided to give it a try in the jeep. Mine didn't have carpet when I bought it anyways, but if it did, it would have came out and the liner would have went in. I only put one coat in for now, but I am going to put 2 or 3 more layers in it when I get the time. I a very satisfied with it and especially for the price. You may want to get you an extra few of those small rollers because they are one use with that stuff.

I used some fine grit sandpaper and scuffed up the surface. (Mine was factory gloss black) so I was afraid it wouldn't stick. it's been over a year since I put it on and no compaints at all. It's not chipping up anywhere either.

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Thanx Jeeper99. Can you tell me what it feels like? I don't want a sandpaper feel. Prefer something softer like the rhino as sometimes we are barefoot, and passangers will put their arms on it (sides of back seat).

Is it thick enough to totally waterproof the metal? I guess with enough coats it would be with any product, but how is your single coat?
thanx

It's not soft at all. Once it dries. It is really "Gritty" and strong. I've never seen the Rhino on anything so I can't judge between the two. One coat did pretty good. I would like to put at least two more on there sometime, but it is sealed pretty decent just for the one coat. It would scrape your elbows if you where to rub againts it.

For the money I've saved on the price of 1 Gallon of the Duplicolor bed liner. I've been able to paint my boat trailer and the inside of my jeep and I've still got 1/4 of a gallon left. I think it's good stuff.

Thanx again. I'm gonna look for something softer for the kids to rub up against!
It does sound like a good deal, though.

Your Welcome!

Is the Rhino Lining more of a Rubbery feeling? I've never seen in on anything personally.

I did my flares with Rhino lining. It looks great. It is gritty and rubbery at the same time, though. If anything can be those two at the same time.

Can you get the rhino lining in a 1 gallon can and roll it on or does it have to be sprayed? I'm not familiar at all with it or the price.

Rhino is kinda like a gritty soft plastic, if that makes sence. I think you have to spray it, not sure. I called a local shop that does rhino. They said that they can do 10 trucks in the time it would take them to do my Jeep. They don't even want it unless I do all the prep work (to include removing the dash) and sign a wavier (since I did the prep) that voids the warrenty. The guy also told me that my rustoleum is junk, and it starts rusting 5 minutes after you spray it. He said that anything I put over it, even if prepped properly, would come up in places, allowing moisture in, and promoting rust. He recommended I spend the time fishing (instead of a do it yourself bedliner) instead of messing up my Jeep.

Now I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. Right now the Jeep has zero rust. I may just watch it closely, applying paint as needed to keep it protected. It's good to know yourself, and my prep work would not be good enough to guarantee no peel up, so I think I may be stuck. Oh well, maybe it's time to move on to the rollcage I've been considering....

Thought I would update this. I went ahead and put the plastikote in. Link on first post. It was about 45.00 at walmart. I followed the instructions and did it in one day. I did this in Aug. of 2008. It has worn well, and I like it alot. I would recommend this as a cheap alternative to the better known bed liners. One thing, they sell spray cans as well for touch up. After doing the job, I had to remove the front seat, and messed up the bolt and just around it. Bought a can to touch it up. The thing immediately clogged and wouldn't clear. So, I would not recommend the spray version.

With the way that stuff was in the gallon can, I can't imagine it trying to be sprayed out of a rattle can. Thanks for the update!

Back