painting faded fender flares

jugghead23

Give me Liberty or you shock recommendation

I have a 98 TJ chili-pepper red with black top and now black street locks. My flares are so faded and appear almost grey now. Instead of replacing them, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck painting them? Yes, this would be for cosmetic reasons only so its not that important.
I thought taking them off, cleaning them up and hitting them with a few coats of black primer or some matte black spray paint might make them look new again...however I'm worried that because the flares are flexible, the slightest flex might chip/crack the paint.

I have heard of people just hitting them with a heat gun or blow drier. You just have to make sure the passes are even so you don't melt anything. The down side is they will fade again eventually and if you do this too many times they will eventually get very brittle.

As for painting they might chip under flex, if you do paint them make sure the prep is really good, I would use an etch primer, then the finish coats.

Heat guns are inexpensive, and the best route to go. Doesn't take long at all to do all 4 or 6 on a jeep. Start about 3" away from the flare and get closer until you get the hang of it. Use a sweeping motion like spraypainting. All the black will come back to the surface and they'll look new again.

Much better than painting.

Mine are herculined, but that was before I knew about the heatgun trick. I've done it, it works.

Has anyone tried to polish them with some white compound?? And has anyone bought the factory set from Quadratec for $99 bones?? Are they any good??

Just thought I'd jump on the thread and ask some questions I had on the topic.

Ok, I'm slightly confused...I do have a heat gun, but do I heat the fenders up to the point where the surface melts? Is that what is actually taking place?

Also, is this done while the flares are off the jeep or can I do it while they're on?

Any prep needed for this to work? a good washing? How long will the affect last?

**sorry for all the questions but I appreciate the help

jugghead23 said:
do I heat the fenders up to the point where the surface melts? Is that what is actually taking place?
All it takes is a slow sweep across the fender surface about 1" to 2" away from the plastic surface. The black is drawn back to the surface, but you won't be able to see any melting. Holding the gun too close or in one spot for too long will be disasterous. It's an easy process though, you'll get the hang of it.
jugghead23 said:
Also, is this done while the flares are off the jeep or can I do it while they're on?
Either. The heat gun won't hurt the paint if not hit directly, just keep it pointed towards the plastic.
jugghead23 said:
Any prep needed for this to work? a good washing? How long will the affect last?
Just make sure they are clean so no impurities go into the plastic or block the heat for an uneven finish.

found this in another thread:

http://www.willemlafferty.com/jeep/fenders/

anyone have any idea how long this 'quick fix' lasts for? say as long as putting armor all on the fenders or more like a few months to a year?

Hey BakedAlaskan..where did you see replacement TJ flares for 99 bucks?
They're not on quadratecs site, maybe in the actual catalog?

hetting them up will bring the oil back to the surface but not to the point of making them wet. The abs plastic has a very high oil content, that is what will make them black again, you do want to be careful not to melt the plastic. Just take your time start out about 3" away from the flare and work it slow and sweeping like spraying a rattle can. Start out a little farther back if afraid and move slowly forward you will see it happening in front of you so just watch it you'll get the hang of it.

i've read a lot of guys are using the krylon fusion paint for their flaires. thats the way i'm going this summer. it molecularly bonds to the plastic and a lot of guys said it lasts a very long time. i've seen pictures and they look just like new. also the more you use a heat gun the more brittle the plastic will get because you're pulling the natural oils out of the plastic .

spring spacer

You can paint your flaires and your right about wanting a paint that's gonna be tough but flexible. I found a great source for automotive finish stuff at www.eastwood.com, you might check'em out. For instance they carry one product...

Vinyl Coat Graphite Aerosol 13 oz
Item No. - 52080 Z
Renew or change the color of your vinyl upholstery and plastic surfaces - permanently. Flexible enough for seats, yet tough enough for vinyl tops. For optimum results and adhesion, use Plastic Prep and Sand Free-Kit on hard plastics, and Vinyl Prep on vinyl. Buy 3 or more and SAVE!
Regular Price: $7.99 Buy 3 or more Pay Only: $ 7.49 ea.

They carry all kinds of primers, paints and coatings that serve off-roaders well in repairing the carnage to their rigs.

Let us know what you decide to do. LOL. :mrgreen:

I tried stuff like armor all and it lasts a couple weeks. I had no idea about the heat gun trick. I will definitely remember that one.

With the heat gun, the color should last just as long as it did off the showroom floor. To make the black last longer, use a treatment like armorall or BlackMagic after the heat gun treatment.

I don't believe it'll make 'em brittle, at least not to a point it really matters.

If you get into a tree and crack one (as I have on unheated flares) it would have broken with or without the heat treatment. Used ones are easily found (although usually faded and/or scratched).

Just do it :twisted:

What I have found that works is good ole Elbow grease and a Floor scrubber brush. Once you have it clean get spray on Armoral and soak them and I mean SOAK. one that dries do it again. Then every week or so use the Armoral Spray tire foam. Always be liberal.

Yup it is in the Catalog. Look one page before the "After market extended flares" They have my CJ ones for $69-79 Wrangler ones with the small extension and the TJ models. A set of four for under a hundred.

I plan on getting new CJ ones. But man would I have liked to have seen these before I spent money at the Dealer the first time I did the TJ flare thang.

IG, Are those YJ flares on the back of the Bubbacon? Looks good.

You'd have to really not know what you're doing to bubble good paint with a heat gun.

I do happen to own a heat gun (I play hockey and use the heat gun to heat up the glue and change blades on my sticks).

I am going to try the heat gun option first, however, I will remove the flares from the jeep first. If that does not work to my satisfaction, option number 2 will be the krylon fusion paint. Finally, if that doesn't do as well as I'd like, I will simply spend the $100 on a new set of stock flares.

thanks!

Inspector-Gadget said:
Please do not interpret my earlier post as a repudiation of the heat gun method of re-blackening fender flares. If that method works – GREAT!!!
I didn't, just saw it as throwing more ideas out there.

I had thought all CJ rear flares were round, not flat on the top like YJ flares.

Secrets of the Bubbacon reveiled!!!

My 79 and my 86 had the same round fender flares, those are not stock Gadget. Tell the truth now. Its a wrangler with a CJ front clip. You were affraid of being shamed for having square lights. It's ok to be square as long as it's ONLY your Jeep. :wink:

Back