Paniless wiring

Buck hour

I have a 77 cj7. She kept shutting off for no reason. Just instantly died like someone shut off the key. When I pulled the screw out of the wiring harness the inside looked like Rosie odnells mouth and a couple wires were barley still connected. Long story short, has anyone used painless rewiring kits? Is it worth the money? Or should I go looking on eBay?

Please help I can't stand seeing my baby stuck in the garage!

alot of my autocross buddies used their harnesses for racing and said they were very nice. not that its a jeep but a vehicle is a vehicle and wiring is wiring.

i know i am thinking of doing a little something different and it would require me to get one also so if you get it, i'll definitely take your thoughts on it into consideration

I just rewired my "78 with a Painless wiring kit. I don't have the Jeep ready to run yet,but as far as the wiring kit,connectors & instructions/diagrams I am very pleased with Painless. It is a lot of money,but I can't imagine it being any easier.
Their color codes match the factory colors & all wires are tagged.

I installed one from painless in a '67 Camaro. At first look out of the box I was like "what the heck did i get into" but after laying everything out, and reading it was a breeze. All the connectors were there. Everything what labeled. I don't think it could of been any easier. They are expensive, but I think they are worth the money. When the time comes for my '73 to get wiring I will be ordering from painless.

Painless are good kits.I have used at least 10 in restoring several older vehicles .Another one to look at is the Ron Francis kit. Neither is cheap but they are very good quality.
If you are electrically challenged these may be the way to go.
Otherwise find a good fuse box and schematic and start hardwiring.

As for me and 'Betty' I can't go the expense of a Painless kit, given other expenses (most recently tires) and since her electrical system hasn't gone gunney sack I've just used Mouser electronics for correct connectors and used good connective wiring myself. Using this tack, my soldering skill has increased proportionately, which I value.

Day 2 of rewiring.. Actually has been pretty easy so far. The hardest part was getting the old rats nest of wires out from under the dash. I've also run into a few snags! First my dimmer switch has a different hook up and my heater switch has 3 pins where as the prewired harness is a female 5 pin. So I guess I need to get some updated parts.. I'm thinking one or two more days of work at this pace and she should be running :)

Glad to hear it's going so well....If you need a hand I can take a drive up(Lombard is about 40mi from me) just send me a PM.

I did a painless harness in my cj5 and i'm so glad I did. The old harness was scary. Smoke rolling out from under the dash is not a good sign. A great upgrade!

Turbogus said:
As for me and 'Betty' I can't go the expense of a Painless kit, given other expenses (most recently tires) and since her electrical system hasn't gone gunney sack I've just used Mouser electronics for correct connectors and used good connective wiring myself. Using this tack, my soldering skill has increased proportionately, which I value.

Nice use of vocabulary 8)

With all the previous praise it might seam redundant, but I used a Painless harness in my '77 C-J5. It went smoothly with the exception of the long skinny plug that comes out of the steering column, but then agin I created that problem for myself by up grading to a column mounted ignition switch. All in all it was an exceptional product.

Back