PCM and RKE Issues

JustJoeyK138

I just got this Jeep 2000 WJ and i did not get a key fob for it. I got a key fob and took it to Jeep and they said the computer could not find the program to pair them. Any ideas on what i should look for to correct this prior to replacing the PCM?

There are 2 places in the system menu from the factory scantool where the RKE programming could be initiated, BCM(Body control module or the VTSS/SKREEM module. As a rule of thumb, the VIN has to be checked to verify that the vehicle is equipped with the RKE module and verifying that the part number for the fobs are correct for the application prior to programming.

SteelHeadz said:
There are 2 places in the system menu from the factory scantool where the RKE programming could be initiated, BCM(Body control module or the VTSS/SKREEM module. As a rule of thumb, the VIN has to be checked to verify that the vehicle is equipped with the RKE module and verifying that the part number for the fobs are correct for the application prior to programming.

When they check the Vin it does not show an rke module but when you pull the options list it shows keyless entry.
Per your thread I verified the fobs and they are the correct ones. Btw, thank for the help so far.

Last edited:
If it's showing on the options list, then it's equipped. They should be able to program the fobs with the DRB3 under one of the two menus i mentioned. Sometimes you would need to go all the way to the engine systems menu then back out to the selection menu and select either body or VTSS module.

SteelHeadz said:
If it's showing on the options list, then it's equipped. They should be able to program the fobs with the DRB3 under one of the two menus i mentioned. Sometimes you would need to go all the way to the engine systems menu then back out to the selection menu and select either body or VTSS module.

Thank I really appriciate your input, I will take it back to them this week and give them the information you have supplied to me.

JustJoeyK138 said:
Thank I really appriciate your input, I will take it back to them this week and give them the information you have supplied to me.

Well I took of back to Jeep today and they tried everything you sent me and it still did not work. Before I left he said that the computer would not let him enable the vtss. Any thoughts?

Then the technician should have done a module scan to see if the communication is evident between the modules. If not, the VTSS will not enable.

SteelHeadz said:
Then the technician should have done a module scan to see if the communication is evident between the modules. If not, the VTSS will not enable.

Finally got back into Jeep. The lesson to be learned here is not to rely on your memory in vain. The tech I had twice was a very proud person. The older man I got when I went in today got the Vin typed it into the computer and came back and had the fobs programmed in 5 minutes. He had to program them through the PCM. the other tech tried to program them through the BCM both times and just could not beloved that his memory had failed him. Alas he was incorrect and should have taken the time to go look it up. Vain, a meanings to an end.

Glad to hear you got that issue resolved although that's impossible that the RKE is programmable through the PCM. The PCM has no inputs or outputs from the keyless feature. The BCM and VTSS are the only modules that's directly linked to the remote keyless.

SteelHeadz said:
Glad to hear you got that issue resolved although that's impossible that the RKE is programmable through the PCM. The PCM has no inputs or outputs from the keyless feature. The BCM and VTSS are the only modules that's directly linked to the remote keyless.

He did not say he connected to the PCM he said he had to go through it. For some reason when the parts depth looked up a replacement RKE for me they said I had to but the entire PCM. On my Jeep the RKE is built into the PCM instead of being a seperate piece that plugs into it like other units. I am not trying to act as though I know what I am talking about, just giving you the explanation that was given to me.

Back