personal recs. on tires

Well let's see. I've had Buckshot radials (lasted quite awhile, good price, decent in mud, horrible on road), swamper SSR (they just sucked, wore out fast, loaded up in mud, rode like crap, and pricey), thornbirds (just like SSR's but much worse), now have BFG MT/KM's. They have great treadwear, ride well on the pavement, were $130 each from Sam's club with roadhazard, and they actually unload Mississippi river gumbo. Great tires, I got the AT/KO's on my 2nd jeep and like those too. I've gotta recommend the BFG's.

Buddy of mine had Dunlop's on his F150. He didn't get 30K out of them and after 5K they made the truck ride like a tractor (not to great in the mud either).

Well I like my Mastercraft Courser MT's although they seem to be a very localized on availibility... and Ill tell ya up front, they get LOUD! haha.. but I love it

Nathan

laneiac said:
Dunlop Mud Rovers, much better than BFG M/T. Kumhos are nice too.
not sure i'd agree with that, though i've never owned the BFG's, i have the dunlops. all in all the
BFG's
image-missing.png

dunlop's
image-missing.png

and kumho's
image-missing.png

have nearly identical tread patterns. i have been pleased with my dunlops, though i'll admit they arent the best tire, they, and the kumho's seem to be a good bang for your buck. the BFG's might be a little bit better in durability, and you're also paying for a big name brand, but all in all, very comparable tires. on tire rack, for 31x10.5x15 they sell for $133 (BFG) $91 (dunlop) and $94 (kumho), so, like i originally said on the first page of this tthread, the dunlop and kumho mudders are very close, but if i had to buy again, i might spring the extra 3 bucks a tire this time for the kumho's (not to say i wouldnt buy dunlops again though, i just like variety).

bchcky said:
image-missing.png

dunlop's
image-missing.png

and kumho's
image-missing.png

have nearly identical tread patterns.

Look at the side lugs and the ripple between the lugs on the BFG. The ripples help the tire clean itself in mud.

Just pointing out that there is a difference, whether it's worth the extra money is up to you.

RE: Help me pick a front bumper...

Bounty__Hunter said:
Check out www.high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html

I ran a set of MT's, as several jeepers in my club have, with never a problem. Just throwing out an option.

Bounty, I've been debating between MT's and AT's and those prices look really good for a "trial" set of MT's, but I've always had a real aversion to retreads (except, of course, when I was young and poor). Do you (and the other folks) run them on the road much? I'm leery about how they'd hold up driving highway speeds for extended periods (my Jeep is my only vehicle). Any advice?

Back