Pinion nut torque.

lah2420

I've found a problem with my rear pinion yoke. A new one is on the way along with a new seal. I've searched here and elsewhere and am getting a host of conflicting information. My Haynes book says to torque to 17 ft/lbs in the specs. Then, in the instructions, it says to check what the preload is and to set it at that level plus 5 in/lbs. Having no idea what they are talking about, I searched. I have found several sites that start at finger tight plus 1/16 of a turn to 150 ft/lbs. I know the actual setting is somewhere in between, but haven't got a clue as to how tight to torque the nut. Any help? Also, what's the difference between the preload and the torque?

Tight.

Preload concerns the bearings. It's how much force is required to turn the pinion.

Torque is how tight you tighten the nut. 150ft/lbs of torque is how tight the pinion nut should be.

I think a mechanic will be doing this one. The flywheel at 120 lbs nearly killed me. I don't think I want to be trying for 150 while laying on my back under the jeep.

it takes about 150 to 200 lbs originally to set the crush washer to the right pre-load on the pinion nut, if your replacing the nut then set to 15 inch lbs of resistance while the tires are off the ground. this is a turning resistance at the pinion yoke, it will take about 150 to 200 lbs to get it, go slow here as to not to re-crush the the crush washer any more or you will have to replace it and start the pre-load process over again.
A large pipe wrench helps by holding the yoke as you apply torque to the pinion nut.

Last edited:
Thanks Bounty. Now I understand what they are talking about between torque and preload. I couldn't understand how you could torque something to 150 ft-lbs and maintain a setting of in-lbs on the bearing. It makes sense when it's clearly written out. I still have my doubts of reaching 150 ft-lbs with 12 inches of space and laying on my back though. It still may go visit a mechanic with a rack to put it on.

like I wrote use a pipe wrench on the yoke and the torque wrench in the other hand and apply opposite pressure sounds like a lot but it isnt that much.
If your jeep isnt lifted and sitting on 40's you could have the handle against the ground.

I still have my doubts of reaching 150 ft-lbs with 12 inches of space and laying on my back though. It still may go visit a mechanic with a rack to put it on.

You can always use a cheater bar to get the last ft/lbs in... I did it like this when I installed the SYE, and it was SOOOOO much easier to tighten everything... I dont remember what the torque setting was, but I do think it was 150 ft/lbs. And with the cheater bar it was not difficult at all to achieve!

Felipe

Back