Plastic or metal rocker panel guards for TJ?

BillDrake

I've heard that metal guards eventually rust out where they're attached to the body, and that even the powder coat finish chips and then rusts. I've also heard that the Rubicon OE guards come already chipped when ordered for replacement. However, the Bushwacker ones I'm looking at don't cost much ($71.00 cndn/pr), but what are they for? They look cheap too. Opinions? Thanks.

If you want true rocker protection if you are using it for protection from rocks metal is the way to go.
plastic wont hold up to abuse. it will split and crack if you hit it to hard. Get metal ones then take them to your local Line-X dealer and have them sprayed then you wont have to worry about them chipping or rusting. And the Line-X will hold up to the abuse better than any other spray material on the market.

FiC

You can go metal and even get some cheapo spray bedliner in a can to treat it... it does work

Get a set of rock rails and you won't have to touch the side panels. They'll be protected and you wont have to cut holes, drill, or adhere anything to them ;)

I'm not a big fan of bolting them to the body. Get a sturdy set of rails that attach to the frame like TC suggested. The sheetmetal body bolt ons are fine for sliding across stuff, but I've seen some that are just silly.......strong enough to support a tank, but bolted on by the sheetmetal rocker panel. That's about like those heavy duty tubular taillight guards that bolt to the body. You save a $14 light, but do $200 worth of body damage if you bump them into something.

Junkpile said:
That's about like those heavy duty tubular taillight guards that bolt to the body. You save a $14 light, but do $200 worth of body damage if you bump them into something.

Well put!

i made my rockers from 3x5 angle iron and some schedule 40 pipe. they look similar to the warn ones except they are super beef compared to the warn ones. mine bolt to the body on the side and underneath. ive dropped my entire jeep on one of them and it just slid away

Back