Poor Mans Wrangler Thread: Had A Good Experience?

Roundlights

I just noted LV's post below this one, where he recommends a small-er time fabricator of bumpers. This got me thinking, sure we all know the big brands, but how about the working stiffs that can build just as good of a product for half the price?

$190 for a crawler front bumper, with light tabs & weld through mounts........ and shipping is included!

I am pretty sure we all know the cost of materials, or roughly, so why not find out who is going to make just enough off their product, vs. the guys who need to clear 5 million in sales to make next years marketing budget.

Had a good experience with any small timers?
Found a dynamite product that you won't find in a catalog?
Care to share it with us?

Help a poor guy out. Rephrase, we are Jeepers, help ALL of us poor guys out!!

I ended up buying a olympic bumper for my XJ from a wholesaler "desertrat" about a year ago. Good product, Just took forever for them to "drop" ship it from the factory. But when looking i found all kinds of homemade decent bumpers on ebay all from the same guy, which were roughly $150 plus shipping.

I got one for my YJ made by a local company here in Vancouver. They're called Serious Metal. I've bashed this thing off rocks and beaten it to hell with no problems. The only improvements I can see that they need to make are to the latch for the swingout carrier....it rattles a little too much and they need some kind of grease nipple on the hinge. There's no bearing or anything that can go bad in the hinge. I just have to loosen the bolt and pull the swing out portion about 3/4 of the way off the hinge to get some grease in there about twice a year. It was half the price of Warn's rock bumper.

great post Round! - i love my Steves jeep bumper - sure, takes a while to get it - they build to order - but WORTH IT!!! and my Hell Creek suspension... Tom is great to deal with - that brings me to the point of my post - you deal with small operations you get to deal (and ACTUALLY TALK!) to real people that have a vested interest in making you happy since they know the power of "word of mouth..." and they understand if they dont take care of their customers.... someone else will!!! THATS why i like dealing with them - you develop a raport (sp?) and it ultimately becomes a good experience (most times) hence my promoting them.....

Back