Por15 & Herculiner project

Imakrazy

i just bought 2 pints of por15 and a full gallon of herculiner, ive owned 3 wranglers in the past 4 years and i finally just got one with barely surface rust on the frame and a nice body. can anyone with experience give me any advice on what to do with the frame and por15 it. i was originally going to sand it but now i was thinking clean it real good and then por15 it wait a day and herculine on top of it for double protection. im planning on getting underneath and just going to town on everything i see that has some rust or things i know i should protect. Also was curious as to what the outcome of using the herculiner on the flares is. thanks for reading and any advice!

U could sandblast but will be messy and a pain a good wire wheel on a grinder works well

i think i can get access to a wire wheel but is it neccessary? i want it to be as easy as clean and paint. wishful thinking i guess

i thought por15 killed the rust and then sealed the metal, all in one?

maybe i am dreaming though

me and my dad used por-15 on our old charger under the carpet to keep it from rusting, my only advice is to grab sone of this before you start

image-41928555.jpg

its messy stuff and doesent come off easily, but goop definatly helps, also... gloves lol

I did my frame with herculiner, love it! I didn't sand the whole frame down to metal but did take the rusty spot down to metal before painting it. If you have any holes in the frame that you may want to use in the future, you may want to put something in them like a bolt or pencil so they don't get covered up, and then remove before the stuff drys. stir the can often as you apply, everything seems to settle at the bottom of the can pretty fast.

Can you upload a pic of the frame so I can see? I'm gonna por15 it then Herculine it because I heard the herculiner will hold water

I used POR-15 on my frame and top coated with POR-15's Chassis Coat Black top coat. I sand blasted it all first. Came out beautifully!

Attachments

• image-92322880.jpg
    image-92322880.jpg
    855 KB · Views: 1,772
I won't paint another frame with paint. I have done that in the past, sand blasted, por15, chassis paint, and it got chiped and rubed off while off roading within a couple years. started using bed liner on my frames.

I'm thinking por15 and Herculiner will be a goo direction to go

I painted the whole frame and floorpan on ours with POR-15 last year. My advice is long rubber gloves, a Tyvek suit, and a face shield. If you don't get the paint off your skin with acetone in about three minutes then it will take about two weeks to wear off. Buy cheap paint brushes because you will use one each day. They are not cleanable.

I'm wearing POR 15 right now on my wrists because I wore normal mechanic's gloves instead of long ones when painting my axle.

POR 15 is great, but be very careful painting above you. I'd hate to think what it would be like to get this in your eyes.

I still have POR-15 on my wrists and arms from a week ago. It's awesome but never goes away.

I went to 3 different stores and they acted like I was speaking Russian. Went to an auto store, paint store, and hardware store. Lol

Www.por15.com

Www.durabakcompany.com

Durabak is essentially linex or hurculiner in a wide variety of colors. I am painting the interior of my body tub with it. They will mdil you a free sample to match colors. Most local stores have never heard of these specialty paints.

Back