Possible cj7 drive train upgrades

Jeep4230

So I got a1980 cj7 and I want a to put a locker in the front but from what I heard its not worth my time putting a locker in a dana 30 so here is where I need help what are my other options. different axle? build up the one I have?

jeep wageneer(spelling) of the 70,s early 80, had dana 44,s front and rear and are a common swap for cjs. Only thing is, is that you have to mount the springs outboard of the frame in the front, the rear also unless you change the spring perch location for the rear. I dont think there is anyway around doing it in the front but not sure. I think you can put dana 44 shafts into the 30 housing but not sure how that works. I have a dana 27 front axle in my jeep which is weaker than your dana 30 and it has a truetrac or traclock (cant remember which is which) in it and seems to do ok. I think the ujoints on the dana 30 are the weak link and believe you can up grade them to the dana 44 ujoint which I think is the same as the yj,s dana 30 ujoint

The 35,s will just put more stress on your dana 30 and break it sooner than say 33" because of the larger and heavier tire and creates more leverage.. If you want the cheapest way to strengthen it, I would look into upgrading the axle shaft ujoints. I dont know what involved, or if the larger ujoints just directly replace the stock smaller joints. I ran 33x15.50 sx swampers(which are a heavy tire) on one of my cj7,s and replaced the front axle shaft ujoint quite a bit. 33x12.50 is about the limit on cj dana 30,s, many people run larger tires (including myself) but if you want your axle to last a while 33x12.50 is about it with out upgrades.. I went from 35" to 33" this past summer and can say I can really tell a differance.

Last edited:

I ran a stock 30 with a lockrite in it spinning true measurement 34's with a throttle body 350 and SM465. I broke a u-joint once while jerking someone out of a bad hole. You can upgrade the axles and joints or go whole hog for the 44, it's your choice. My opinion would be to lock it and upgrade. If it doesn't hold up just fix what broke, sell it as an upgraded axle, and offset the cost of a 44 install.

So I have tracked down a set of Cj dana 44s for 170 bucks is it a good deal if I were to buy what would have to be done to put these axles under my 1980 cj7

well, there is not set of cj dana 44,s. The cj never came with 44,s front and rear. The cj did come with a rear 44 (certain years) but not the front, ever. You would need to cut off the spring perches and reweld them back on in the correct location. For the front you will have to move the spring mounting point to the outside of the frame rather than under the frame as it is now, which is why you are getting sugestions in just up grading your 30. Nothing wrong with outboarding the front springs, just a lot of work and some dont like the look. If you are going to do this, I would suggest upgrading to the wrangler springs at the same time, they are longer and wider and will give a better, smoother ride.

When you say D44 CJ axles, can you elaborate? CJ's did not come with D44 fronts. I've read your postings and the question I have is what do you plan to do with your Jeep? The D30 axle is a good axle, especially considering you will not have modifications to use it. I'm not a professional axle rebuilder, but I do it on the side and personally I like the the D30. Keep in mind that your CJ7 is a narrow track set up. You can use wide track axles with no problems, D44 rears were an option with narrow track CJ, but rare and only offered in a wide track in the last part of 86 before AMC went under.

Well that would explained why I could not find any information on cj 44s. Well the jeep is my daily driver and used for trail riding and a little wheeling. So what is the general opinion here I am hearing both sides 35in tires and dana 30 good or bad?

I my opinion, your D30 will do just fine, especially if you have it over-hauled with new bearings, seals, slingers etc. If you want to go on the wild side, you could upgrade to Superior axles, an e-locker and a good set of hubs (Super Winch, Mile One). Buy again, that would be extravagant for your needs in my opinion.

PoliceMonkey brings up a good point about hubs. Somewhere around 80 they switched to a plastic dial in the hub and is not as strong as the steel hubs of earlier years. I would replace your hubs with steel body and dial hubs (warn hubs, are my fav). I think you will be ok with your 30 as well, especialy if your not heavy footed off road. I ran 33x15.50 super swamper SX tires on my 30 for probably 8 years or so and only had to change the ujoint on it, but I changed it a couple times a year. Its my opinion that a 35" is pushing it a little, I have wheeled with 35,s on a stock dana 30 before with no problems but I am easy on the throttle. On my current jeep, it has a dana 27 front axle which is weaker than the 30 and the jeep had 35,s on it when I got and I wheeled it a couple time with the 35,s on it and didnt seem to have any trouble with it. Id say go for it, I think it will be fine, just expect to do a ujoint here and there.

It all depends on right foot! I know of a quadratrac jeep with a 30 front thats a spring over with 35's and has been since '94. Ive ran 33's on my jeep for a while(about 20 years) and the last 2 years the front has been welded, now I have 35's on it, no problems so far. Just watch the go pedal!

Back