power steering upgrade

homeboundcat

Was wondering what all parts i need get to change to power steering. Steering shaft and all ? Or will factory shaft work with power steering box ?

You will need a new shaft, Or at least a different end for your old one. A factory shaft works. You just need a factory shaft for power steering. You will also need power steering pump and all the mounts, the hoses and a new belt.
Do you have a single pulley system or double? If it's single, You might need some double pulleys.

It would help to know what Jeep you want to convert? It looks like you have a YJ in your icon photo? If so, I thought all YJ's had P/S? Regardless, just as steedy.foot mentioned, you need the correct intermedate shaft, the P/S gearbox, pitman arm, supply and return hoses, pump w/ pulley or serpentine wheel, mounting brackets for pump and gearbox (not 100% certain on the YJ as I've never seen one w/o) and depending on the year of the vehicle, either a longer serpentine belt or some upgrading to your existing pullies as mentioned earlier.

I went to a salvage yard, told them what I wanted to do and they came back with the parts. They took the pump off a later model Wrangler and the mounting brackets wouldn't work so the hardest part was making the brackets. Mine is a 89 YJ so not all came with power steering.

Back