Public applogy..and XJ lift issues, questions...???

vfrf2

Dingus,

I gave you a hard time a couple of weeks ago when I made a mistake about posting looking for some parts in the "tech forum" area...

Nothing personal...etc, etc,...it's all good...never met you before but you seem like a good dude...I'm too old to get uptight about things like that...tis all good...:) I'm not too much of a proud person to admit I should not have come across as a bit of an obnoxious know it all...we all make mistakes...

In order to not take up valuable space and spamming...I gotta question here that I'd like to ask...

I'm in the process of lifting my XJ to 3 maybe 4.5 inches...due to budget contstraints I want to modify my stock LCAs.
According to a source...the rule of thumb is that the LCAs should be extended about 1/8 of an inch per inch of lift. The stock LCAs are 15 3/4 inches from center to center on the mounting points...anyone out there done a 3 inch...4.5 inch lift and used an aftermarket fixed length LCA and if so...what are the dimensions on the mounting points you have with a fixed aftermarket LCA? I keep seeing a few people saying that the transfer case should probably be dropped about an inch...if going with 4.5 plus????
I'm concerned about running into vibration issues due to a steeper angle on the drive line...maybe even have to install some degreed shims on the rear axle to smooth things out?
What I'm looking for is what I can realistically (don't sugar coat anything) expect if I go with 4.5 instead of 3 inches of lift? Can I really get by with out getting into having to go with a SYE? UCA mods needed, lower front control track bar need to be lowered, get a new one???? To be honest...I see so many forums with the same questions...I need cold hard facts, not opinions!
On ONE more note...Petersens 4 Wheel and Offroad mag did a nice write up on XJs in the March 03 issue...Might sound kinda stuck up...but, I'm happy to get an XJ owner.
On a side note...I'd be willing to bet I've got the ugliest XJ on the board, gotta love a red primer finish, (soon to be painted with a decent color)? :)

Allen

edited by: vfrf2, Feb 25, 2003 - 08:32 AM[addsig]

dude, no offense given, or should be taken... i was just making sure things ended up where they should be. i would have simply moved the post into the classifieds area, but terrymason doesn't have my moderator account set up to do that. i'll talk to him

as for your LCA's, i have a 3" lift on my XJ. the guy at rustys' offroad (owner) says that with only 3" lifts on XJ's you DO NOT need new control arms. if you're going to run 31's, just adjust your bump-stops so your bigger tires don't rub the control arms.

tubular control arms would prevent them from rubbing, but seeing as you (and i am too) are on a budget, just keep the stock stuff on there!

check out my website, and feel free to ask more questions!

http://dingus.tqhosting.com/jeep/[addsig]

Back