Pulling a camper?

cj1

I have recently obtained a '80 CJ7, after years of finding what I wanted. It has a 304,auto, and seems to seems to have some fairly low gears(3.55s or maybe 3.73s). Anyway, I was wondering how big of a camper this thing would "safely" pull down the road without throwing me in the ditch
image-missing.png
I live in Nebraska so the land is pretty flat, just have some days with what seems like 100 mph winds
image-missing.png
Any input would be appreciated, Thanx. BTW it is all stock(tires, no lift, etc)[addsig]

For the last several years, Jeep has limited the Wrangler to a 2,000lb tow weight.

But that's with 4.0L I6.

With your V8 I would think you could pull more. As to it not yanking you into a ditch the secret there I would think is to have a trailer which is lighter than your CJ.

My CJ weighs in at about 3800.

Something occured to me the other day. The Wrangler with the 4.0L is limited to 2,000lb.

HOWEVER,

The original Cherokee, with the exact same drivetrain is allowed 5,000lb.

Whats up with that ?

One of the biggest towing limitations isn't weight but something called

FRONTAL AREA.

If your pulling a flatbed trailer with ATVs = OK

But an RV trailer with a big flat front wall will have trouble cutting the wind and cause you to give it lots more gas = lots more heat especially in an auto trans.

I would guess our CJ's too are limited to 2,000lbs.

A tent trailer = OK

One of those lightweights which foldup into a teepee shape = OK

What we did was buy a truck camper and we tow our CJ.

Nabraska is flat, you right, but, you don't think you'll ever venture towards some of the best trails in the US ? It's right next door. COLORADO !!

The Great San Juan mountains of southern Colorado is a Jeepers dream come true !!!!

(or nightmare depending upon how your trailride works out)

Someday.....

[addsig]

The real issue with your CJ is not the drivetrain but the weight and brakes. Those Cherokees with the 4.0 can safely tow more because they have a braking system and vehicle weight which can help keep them out of the ditches. With a trailer that's too heavy for the CJ, it would be very dangerous if you had to come to a panic stop. You wouldn't be able to control the trailer. I would think that the 2000-2500 lb range is pretty much the limit. I have never checked into this, but if it is your trailer/camper you could look into adding electric brakes to the trailer. That might let you get along safer with a larger trailer. [addsig]

Back