Question about CHROME

HiHood

I got a poor folk Jeep restore going on here and am looking for ways to cut costs. I have a set of wheels that are gold in the center and chrome around the actual rim. They are too nasty to polish out, (no way would these go on MY Jeep anyways) and I was thinking about bead blasting the suckers to rough it up and painting them black. Has anybody ever done this with chrome?

They are steel.

prob would work not sure how long it would last but prob wouldnt be to bad

Lets see some pics of those suckers!!!! Then maybe we can give you some good advice! :p

this is the BEST of the bunch. (Should I get new tires too? still some tread left:lol::lol::lol:)

Attachments

• IMG_8665.JPG
    IMG_8665.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 64

Uh, wheels? I didnt notice any wheels in that pic.........all I see is beautiful flat fender, and a "bug" grille! :shades:

do it, and don't worry, done it in the past, here in the north east where things rust, didn't have an issue.

I think that jeep has bigger problems than wheel color. :D

Well, that it does, BUT the tub now sports a new fender and floor, the transmission/tc has been rebuilt. it soon will sport a rebuilt F134 Hurricane, (watch out, 72 raw Willys HP) new brake parts are on the way, and in a pay day or two, I'll have seats coming and new gages. I also, in a few pay days be ordering lock-right lockers, not to mention the wire harness, shocks and bushings. I need to get wheels under this thing to move it around and I don't want to mount and dismount tires 3 or 4 times. :shades:

Had I of afforded it, I might have gotten a newer one but I don't care for the way all that plastic gets brittle and cracks in the heat out here.

Yep that's the way to do it. Just don't re-use the media that you blast them with. With the chrome in there, you don't want to be blasting other stuff with it again.

Heck just hang em out in a wind storm looks like your whole yard is blasting media :rolleyes:.

Yes, when choosing my landscaping "theme", i decided to go for the "desert southwest" look, complete with scorpions, sand, cactus and rattlesnakes. Alls I did from there was haul in a few non-running vehicles and set them up on blocks.8)

The TV show Musclecar on SpikeTV just talked about painting over chrome rims. Might want to check the Spike TV website and watch today's episode.

Last edited:
Sand blasting will take the chrome off as well as the annodizing.

Bead blasting might not take off the chrome.

That tire has seen better days. Maybe as the lead guitarist for G&R.

Sand blast them with black slag it will strip most of the crome off and make whate ever dosnt come off paintable then prime and paint you can go cheap with rattel can or get pricey with epoxy primer and single stage the choice is yours. Heck if you got some screening sift some of your yard and use it that way you wont have to clean it up

Yeah it was on this morning at 0930 and I was outside . . . .NUTZ!!!

I'll try it and see if it will hold me until I can afford the ones I want in a yr or two. Every thing's at a screeching hault right now til payday cause I ran out of argon . . .:( I was attempting to move the grill back 3" to the stock position and ran out welding up the mounting barckets.

Why worry about what those wheels look like if your only using them to roll your chassis around the yard?
My theory...leave them the way they are, then, when you put the proper rims on, they will look THAT much better.
You mite even be able to sell those later "as is"

Why worry about what those wheels look like if your only using them to roll your chassis around the yard?
My theory...leave them the way they are, then, when you put the proper rims on, they will look THAT much better.
You mite even be able to sell those later "as is"

I was gonna use them to roll the chassis but also for a couple yrs till I can buy the wheels I want. I got this whole thing done in my head, it just may take a while to get there.

Well, is it a resto, or a build?

It's not gonna be full stock, it WILL have the F-134 Hurricane, T-90/spicer18, Dana 44 Rr & 25 frt (5:38.1), but this one's been mod'd to acommodate a V8 Ford. They chopped a cross member out and moved it forward to make room and moved the grill/radiator forward. What I did was welded in gussets to that crossmember in order to move the grill BACK to stock position, (mas o menes). The steering column also has been moved. So it's really neither a build or a restore. My exhaust will probably sport no muffler as it will be welded in myself. I also have some ideas under the hood such as HEI distributer, weber card and electric fan which certainly was not standard equipment in 1954. The seats will appear to be stock, (low back) but will be best top's. So it's more like a "Desert-Billy Rebuild"

Back