Question about fog lights

SLiM

I just had a pair of after market fog lights put in, and I know to pass inspection they must go out when the high beams are on, so here is my question is there a way I can make them go out with high beams but also have them on when I just have my parking lights on? Oh and its a 92 Jeep Lerado I-6 if that helps, and while Im asking, is the 92 Jeep Cherokee Lerado a good model and year its got 200,000 on it and it still runs like a champ, its a 5 spd also. Any problems with this model I should know about.

Doesnt anyone know how I could do this???

Yes could be done very easily with a relay/contactor of sorts and a little wire chopping. You would need to find the wire (12+) going to the fog lights. Intercept that wire and pass it through the load side side of the relay. Next, find the wire that feeds(12+) the low-beam side of the headlights, and tap into it. Parallel from this wire to the "trigger" or "coil" side of the relay, then back out of the relay to ground. You need a fuse for the fogs and can still have a master kill switch for the fog lights anywhere in (preferably before the relay) the fog light (12+) wire. Later.

Yes could be done very easily with a relay/contactor of sorts and a little wire chopping. You would need to find the wire (12+) going to the fog lights. Intercept that wire and pass it through the load side side of the relay. Next, find the wire that feeds(12+) the low-beam side of the headlights, and tap into it. Parallel from this wire to the "trigger" or "coil" side of the relay, then back out of the relay to ground. You need a fuse for the fogs and can still have a master kill switch for the fog lights anywhere in (preferably before the relay) the fog light (12+) wire. Later.

Wow....I have no idea how to do what you said...LoL Im far from a mechanic, I can do basic stuff, but when it comes to electrical work forget it Im dumb as a door knob, put a set of blue prints in front of me and I can build you a house, but that does not help me at all with working on a car...LOL. Thanks thou.

:shock:I actually didn't think of that! I got to reading into his question, and my gears started turning too quick. Ok...I'll buy it. Switch would probably be a good option....I mean if you just wanted a simple switch and all.:rolleyes:

I think what he means is that the fog lights have to automatically go out when the high beams come on, so that you can't accidentally run high beam and fog light.

I had the same problem here in VA. I fixed it by just "disabling" the fog lights totally for the inspection (I pulled a fuse). Just tell the inspector that they don't function (i.e. they're just cosmetic) and you should be ok.

wow, that is not a requirement in the county i live in. maybe in other texas counties but not this close to mexico. we get away with almost anything here

I guess I'm pretty lucky living in KS, we only have to get vehicles inspected if they're bought from another state, and I've NEVER been hassled about anything that I've added or done to my vehicles, including fog lights, and KC Dayliters, or tires that stick out farther than the fender flares, lift too high etc. I even used to have an old Chevy 4x4 that was lifted 8"s with 39X18 inch wide Boggers that stuck out at least 4 or 5 inches from the fenders, and ran open headers with straight pipes(NOT recommending anyone do that, now I'm a little older and it sounds TERRIBLE, not to mention it IS illegal no matter where you live).

Back