Questions about my Grand Cherokee

Saiyaman90

I have 4 questions. Just to help I own a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD.

1. Where is a good place to get a replacement key-less entry remote (or as I call it a clicker) for an affordable price. Amazon? Ebay?, Jeep dealership?

2. I scraped against the curb one rainy day and now my right front rim has a scrape along the outer part. Unless i need to post pictures to show how bad it is, what can I do to make it less noticeable?

3. I have a small rip in what I guess is the arm rest of the driver door (the flat part by the handle). How can I fix it before it ends up growing?

4. How do I know If I need to replace the speakers. I listen to a lot of music and I think my speakers aren't sounding as good as they used too. I believe my car still has the stock speakers. If I do need to replace the speakers what is a good brand to look at?

I know it seem like I'm worrying too much but I'm kind of OCD when it comes to taking care of my car. Again I'll post pictures if I need to. I appreciate anyone who will help.

I have 4 questions. Just to help I own a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD.

For starters, this is not the correct forum. This is the CJ, YJ, TJ, and JK forum. So basically, you're in the CJ/Wrangler section ;) The Grand Cherokee is the ZJ, and that forum was one more down. I'll try to give you some help regardless.

1. Where is a good place to get a replacement key-less entry remote (or as I call it a clicker) for an affordable price. Amazon? Ebay?, Jeep dealership?

Unfortunately, the phrases "Replacement keyless-entry remote" and "affordable price" don't really go together :(

Your best (and probably only) bet here is the Jeep stealership. Go in prepared to crap bricks when you hear what the cost of a replacement remote might be. I may be wrong here, but I had to replace a chipped key and a keyless-entry remote for a '98 Mustang SVT once, and it was over $200. I would assume Chrysler charges similar prices.

2. I scraped against the curb one rainy day and now my right front rim has a scrape along the outer part. Unless i need to post pictures to show how bad it is, what can I do to make it less noticeable?

Ouch! Alloy wheels, I assume? Post some pictures if you have time, a good look at the damage will help us help you better :D

But as it is, if the scrape is in the lip of the wheel, you can start by sanding the affected area smooth. There will still be a chunk missing, but at least it will be a smoother chunk. The only other option is to replace the wheel with a matching one from a junkyard, if you use stock wheels.

3. I have a small rip in what I guess is the arm rest of the driver door (the flat part by the handle). How can I fix it before it ends up growing?

Leather arm rest? In any case, you basically have three options here.

1. Replace the arm rest with a non-damaged one from a junkyard. This is likely going to be the least expensive option to actually fix it, but good luck finding one.

2. Pull the arm rest and have an interiors shop re-wrap it. This will probably cost a lot and they might have trouble matching it exactly to your existing interior color.

3. Just live with it. This is really the best option. You must consider the fact that your Jeep is going on 12 years old now, if not already, and these things are going to happen.

4. How do I know If I need to replace the speakers. I listen to a lot of music and I think my speakers aren't sounding as good as they used too. I believe my car still has the stock speakers. If I do need to replace the speakers what is a good brand to look at?

When you don't like the sound your speakers are producing, it's time to replace them ;)

Good mid-level speakers can be had from brands such as Sony, Kenwood, Alpine, and Pioneer, among others. You should be able to get four new speakers to replace your stock speakers from any of those brands for under $150, and they will sound better than stock. If yours had the premium audio system with a subwoofer (not likely since you didn't say it's a Limited) then you should replace it with the cheapest aftermarket amplifier and 8" subwoofer you can find. It should be less than $200 for both and it will still sound better. You might want to run new wiring though.

EDIT: And don't buy them in a brick-and-mortar store. Order online instead, and save some money. As for online car audio retailers, Newegg and TigerDirect are both good, albeit with very limited selections. Crutchfield is probably the most popular one, but you should avoid them like the plague -- they often charge more than even brick-and-mortar stores, and are generally a huge rip-off.

I know it seem like I'm worrying too much but I'm kind of OCD when it comes to taking care of my car. Again I'll post pictures if I need to. I appreciate anyone who will help.

I used to be the same way with my cars, but I have learned over time that it's just better to pick my battles. At the end of the day it's really not worth freaking out over every little rip, tear, and scratch. These things are going to happen. It's inevitable and if you keep fixing every single one you will eventually go mad. The only way to truly avoid them is to park it forever and wall off your garage door :D

Good luck, and pop up some pictures of that wheel.

Last edited:
For starters, this is not the correct forum. This is the CJ, YJ, TJ, and JK forum. So basically, you're in the CJ/Wrangler section ;) The Grand Cherokee is the ZJ, and that forum was one more down. I'll try to give you some help regardless.

Unfortunately, the phrases "Replacement keyless-entry remote" and "affordable price" don't really go together :(

Your best (and probably only) bet here is the Jeep stealership. Go in prepared to crap bricks when you hear what the cost of a replacement remote might be. I may be wrong here, but I had to replace a chipped key and a keyless-entry remote for a '98 Mustang SVT once, and it was over $200. I would assume Chrysler charges similar prices.

Ouch! Alloy wheels, I assume? Post some pictures if you have time, a good look at the damage will help us help you better :D

But as it is, if the scrape is in the lip of the wheel, you can start by sanding the affected area smooth. There will still be a chunk missing, but at least it will be a smoother chunk. The only other option is to replace the wheel with a matching one from a junkyard, if you use stock wheels.

Leather arm rest? In any case, you basically have three options here.

1. Replace the arm rest with a non-damaged one from a junkyard. This is likely going to be the least expensive option to actually fix it, but good luck finding one.

2. Pull the arm rest and have an interiors shop re-wrap it. This will probably cost a lot and they might have trouble matching it exactly to your existing interior color.

3. Just live with it. This is really the best option. You must consider the fact that your Jeep is going on 12 years old now, if not already, and these things are going to happen.

When you don't like the sound your speakers are producing, it's time to replace them ;)

Good mid-level speakers can be had from brands such as Sony, Kenwood, Alpine, and Pioneer, among others. You should be able to get four new speakers to replace your stock speakers from any of those brands for under $150, and they will sound better than stock. If yours had the premium audio system with a subwoofer (not likely since you didn't say it's a Limited) then you should replace it with the cheapest aftermarket amplifier and 8" subwoofer you can find. It should be less than $200 for both and it will still sound better. You might want to run new wiring though.

EDIT: And don't buy them in a brick-and-mortar store. Order online instead, and save some money. As for online car audio retailers, Newegg and TigerDirect are both good, albeit with very limited selections. Crutchfield is probably the most popular one, but you should avoid them like the plague -- they often charge more than even brick-and-mortar stores, and are generally a huge rip-off.

I used to be the same way with my cars, but I have learned over time that it's just better to pick my battles. At the end of the day it's really not worth freaking out over every little rip, tear, and scratch. These things are going to happen. It's inevitable and if you keep fixing every single one you will eventually go mad. The only way to truly avoid them is to park it forever and wall off your garage door :D

Good luck, and pop up some pictures of that wheel.
I appreciate your help. I will take a picture of my wheel (which is the stock aluminum wheel) and send it to you in a message.

Attachments

• IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    614.8 KB · Views: 94
]
Here is the photo, taken with my iPhone.

That's nothing. Half the people I know have minor scrapes like those on their wheels. I thought you had a big chunk missing or something. If you really want to fix it, the only good way is to replace the wheel. If you want to make it look a little better, get some 300-grit sandpaper and sand the affected area flat, then sand again with 2000-grit to make it smooth. Won't be perfect but that's as good as it's going to get.

Also, you might want to invest in some new tires; that one looks quite bald.

Last edited:

That's nothing. Half the people I know have minor scrapes like those on their wheels. I thought you had a big chunk missing or something. If you really want to fix it, the only good way is to replace the wheel. If you want to make it look a little better, get some 300-grit sandpaper and sand the affected area flat, then sand again with 2000-grit to make it smooth. Won't be perfect but that's as good as it's going to get.

Also, you might want to invest in some new tires; that one looks quite bald.
Thanks for the help.

Back