Questions about slave cyl. in 1992 wrangler yj

Rusty 13

Hey all.
I noticed my clutch was sort of "soft" feeling the other day. Tough to get into 1st and into rev. I checked the fluid and it was almost out. I filled and was good for may 100 miles. It again became tough to put into 1st and rev. SO I checked the fluid again. It was only a bit low but I decided to top it off again. When I put the fluid in I noticed a drip coming from the bottom of the reservoir. I saw there were signs of leakage on the fire wall.

So....does this mean the reservoir is bad? Or should I still investigate the need to replace the slave Cyl?

I have also read that my 1992 jeep wrangler yj with the in line 6 has an internal slave cyl. but read other places it is not internal.

Going down to get a manual on it so I can read up on some stuff....

Any thoughts or advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Rusty 13

You have internal slave, they didn't start using the external clutch slave until '94.

My friend just went through this type of thing. His wouldnt go into gear very well, and it would move on its own with the clutch pushed in. He replaced the slave cyl and that was not it.. We looked the system over again and saw as you did, signs of a leaking resivor, replaced the resivor and problem fixed. I would say if your leaking at the resivor that would be where the problem is, its allowing air into the system. My guess at this time is the slave is not the problem.

Thanks for the advice.
I think I am going to do a bit more reading and see if I can get a friend to help me out a bit.
It would be great if it was just the reservoir..

Back