Quick fluid question

geopig

I'm coming up to needing fluid changes. Specifically the transmission, t-case and diffs. I've got a 91 YJ, 4 banger. I've searched the forums and got most of the info I need but wanted to double check a couple of things.

Transmission: Syncromesh or Redline MT-90
Transfer Case: ATF (or can I use the same as the transmission?)
Differentials: 80-90 gear oil (so I'm thinking I can use the fluid as in transmission?)

And yes, I'll change the headlight fluid while I'm at it! :wink:

Thanks for the advice!!

make sure you use halogen fluid for the lights, its better than the normal fluid :lol:

Make sure you lube that muffler bearing and throw some of that gibson exahust fluid in the tail pipe while you are at it.

i think that dynomax fluid is better, you'll have to just experiment with them both.

transfercase i use ATF3 from mopar

never changed my diff fluid

and any transmission fluid i can get my hands on.

4 Wheel Parts in Parma OH

oh no.. you dont' want "just any" transmission gear oil... you definitely don't want any sulfur content...

Snitty is right, according to pretty much every post on this board the sulfur content will mess with the brass in the AX-5 transmission.

Anyhow, any other suggestions/opinions on the fluids used in the other components listed in my original post?

i should have rephrased that. not any, but any quality trans fluid. I'ma not stick generic fluid in there. Good stuff, but whatever the store has at the time.

for the Tcase and diffs... i just use generic stuff.. ATF in the TC... gear oil in the diffs

A few pics from my little vacation

I've been using valvoline full synthetic 75-90w in my manual transmission... good, bad?

Which manual, AX5/15? I think synthetic is fine for these 2 trannies. I use the Pennzoil Synchromesh, but a synthetic, GL-5 should be fine.

C

Back