Racing Limo Spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepmaster

ok this struck me as a little white trash. sorry to offend you nascar fans out there, but driving a car is not a sport.

ps - they're thumbnails so give em a click to see them in their full glory

jeepmaster wrote:
....driving a car is not a sport.

That is your opinion. And while trying not to argue auto-racings side, it is a competition and a physically demanding one at that. The demands on the drivers to stay conditioned are enormous.

Some would also argue that swinging a stick to knock a little white ball into a hole in the dirt is also not a sport. :lol: :lol:

90Xjay said:
jeepmaster wrote:

a physically demanding one at that. The demands on the drivers to stay conditioned are enormous.

quote]

Come on now...Lets not get too crazy. NASCAR may be entertaining but I dont think I would classify their drivers as athletes. I have battled traffic on I-95 near Ft. Lauderdale at 90mph. Thats a whole lot more crazy than a nascar oval and there is nothing physically challenging about it. Granted I dont think I could sit still for 500 miles making left turns but it would be more because I dont think I can hold my pee for 6 hours than physical exertion. Some of their drivers probably are athletes but thats not because they are drivers,hell we have athletes at work but I dont call engineering a sport. Nascar drivers have to be somewhat in shape to compete to just get into the car. You cant fit a 500lb guy through the window. Just look at the Indy 500 a chick almost won the race. In every other sport I can think of an athlete consists of brains, determination, AND PHYSICAL STRENGTH. In racing it actually pays to be smaller. Sorry man but as much as it is entertaining I have a hard time classifing it as a sport. I would put it in the same grouping as Pool and Poker, entertaining but more a game than a sport. But thats only my opinion.

BTW: No I havent been to a race, No I dont watch it on TV, No I am not a fan, Yes I would go to a race if invited (it looks more like a party than anything), and YES I like NASCAR....the video games for PS2 are awsome!

Look at golf. Yes it's a sport (and yes I hate it)...but is it all that PHYSICALLY demanding? No.

Have you seen those guys when they get out of their cars at the end. They are completely worn down. It's just like any other "sport" though...it's mostly for the money and fame.

I don't care enough about any sport or athlete to engage in a debate about who is or what is according to someone else. Most of the so-called stick and ball "pros" have burned me off of wasting my valuable time watching them because of there behavior and the poor role-models they are.

Thats it for me, I don't have time for this thread. I'm out before I really get going good.

Well, I guess I consider anything that get's the ol' adrenaline (sp?) going a sport. However, I wouldn't pay to go see racing limos.

90Xjay said:
I don't care enough about any sport or athlete to engage in a debate about who is or what is according to someone else. Most of the so-called stick and ball "pros" have burned me off of wasting my valuable time watching them because of there behavior and the poor role-models they are.

Those are fairly close to the same feelings I have concerning pro sports.

I love competition though.

judge09 said:
90Xjay said:
jeepmaster wrote:

a physically demanding one at that. The demands on the drivers to stay conditioned are enormous.

quote]

Come on now...Lets not get too crazy. NASCAR may be entertaining but I dont think I would classify their drivers as athletes. I have battled traffic on I-95 near Ft. Lauderdale at 90mph. Thats a whole lot more crazy than a nascar oval and there is nothing physically challenging about it. Granted I dont think I could sit still for 500 miles making left turns but it would be more because I dont think I can hold my pee for 6 hours than physical exertion. Some of their drivers probably are athletes but thats not because they are drivers,hell we have athletes at work but I dont call engineering a sport. Nascar drivers have to be somewhat in shape to compete to just get into the car. You cant fit a 500lb guy through the window. Just look at the Indy 500 a chick almost won the race. In every other sport I can think of an athlete consists of brains, determination, AND PHYSICAL STRENGTH. In racing it actually pays to be smaller.

Oh, good Lord....you are soooooo wrong!!!! I seriously doubt you could drive a race car at nearly 200 mph for 500 miles. It would dang near kill you if you weren't in perfect physical health! Try pulling anywhere from 2 to 4 lateral G's for 4 hours in a cockpit of a car that reaches temps upwards of 120 degrees in a full firesuit and helmet and very little ventilation, all the while concentrating on hitting the right "mark" going into each turn to keep from spinning out and being a spot on the wall, only inches from 42 other cars doing the exact same thing. As usual, someone who doesn't know jack about racing doesn't realize that every lap around the track is pushing the envelope, being right on the edge of spinning out and slamming the wall. I don't think you could do it....in fact, I'm sure you couldn't do it. Mark Martin is one of the oldest drivers in Nascar (retiring at the end of this year) and he does 1000 sit-ups a day as part of his workout to stay in shape enough to drive. Could you do that many? The training regimen for a Nascar driver is more vigorous than that of a professional boxer, and rivals that of many basketball and football programs.

.....as I've said in other threads on the subject, don't knock that which you don't know, because your ignorance will come up and bite you on the backside.

'nuff sed. :evil:

I have mixed feelings on the sport issue. I'll play around on both sides of the debate here.

There is some difference between "sport" (adjective) and "a sport" (noun)

Some things, such as hunting, fishing, shooting, camping, driving, cooking, many arts, sledding, and leisure activities are all done "for sport". They are all sport (adjective) activities.

Then there are things such as soccer, long jump, cross country running, baseball, etc. ARE sports (noun)

Any activity can be "sport" (adjective). My idea of "a sport" (noun) is something where a human body is used as an instrument to compete. When the human body is used to simply control an instrument (not musical), it is simply a competition. In baseball, there are instruments used, so it is a competition. What makes it a sport is the fact that the body must compete against other human bodies even without the instrument. Yes I know that NASCAR requires human bodies, but so does a construction site, and that's not a sport. On one side, I don't so much consider car racing or golf to be sports (noun). Though they are both done for sport (adjective). I'll tell my other side shortly. Golf is considered a sport by many, but to me it is a competetive leisure activity. A body does not compete against a body. A number of people take turns using instruments to see who can use them better. Same goes with nascar, a competition to see who can control their instruments the best. Boxing, football, baseball, soccer etc are competitions to see who can use their bodies against those of each other.

On the other hand, I can agree with those who say that any competition involving physical participation is a sport. Tree cutting can be a sport, hot dog eating can be a sport, bowling can be a sport, and on this side, I'll even say that car racing and golf can both be sports. The thing that sets these competitions aside from (previous example given) poker is that they require a level of physical skill, where as a card game can be played with only mental skill, chance, and the ability to pick up and lay down cards, which is an action, not a skill. So on this side of the argument, nascar and golf ARE sports.

I've jumped around on both sides for a bit here. Want the feelings I go more toward? If someone asks me about nascar and golf, I will say they are not sports, when in fact I do know they really are. Its much like "Is a Jeep a car?"... By definition the answer is yes, and we all know it, but we just don't want to say so. I just get VERY bored from both of them and I have a sarcastic way of expressing that. I've never tried either and I'm sure both are fun, but not something I can watch

Different server

Sparky-Watts said:
judge09 said:
90Xjay said:
jeepmaster wrote:

quote]

Come on now...Lets not get too crazy. NASCAR may be entertaining but I dont think I would classify their drivers as athletes. I have battled traffic on I-95 near Ft. Lauderdale at 90mph. Thats a whole lot more crazy than a nascar oval and there is nothing physically challenging about it. Granted I dont think I could sit still for 500 miles making left turns but it would be more because I dont think I can hold my pee for 6 hours than physical exertion. Some of their drivers probably are athletes but thats not because they are drivers,hell we have athletes at work but I dont call engineering a sport. Nascar drivers have to be somewhat in shape to compete to just get into the car. You cant fit a 500lb guy through the window. Just look at the Indy 500 a chick almost won the race. In every other sport I can think of an athlete consists of brains, determination, AND PHYSICAL STRENGTH. In racing it actually pays to be smaller.

Oh, good Lord....you are soooooo wrong!!!! I seriously doubt you could drive a race car at nearly 200 mph for 500 miles. It would dang near kill you if you weren't in perfect physical health! Try pulling anywhere from 2 to 4 lateral G's for 4 hours in a cockpit of a car that reaches temps upwards of 120 degrees in a full firesuit and helmet and very little ventilation, all the while concentrating on hitting the right "mark" going into each turn to keep from spinning out and being a spot on the wall, only inches from 42 other cars doing the exact same thing. As usual, someone who doesn't know jack about racing doesn't realize that every lap around the track is pushing the envelope, being right on the edge of spinning out and slamming the wall. I don't think you could do it....in fact, I'm sure you couldn't do it. Mark Martin is one of the oldest drivers in Nascar (retiring at the end of this year) and he does 1000 sit-ups a day as part of his workout to stay in shape enough to drive. Could you do that many? The training regimen for a Nascar driver is more vigorous than that of a professional boxer, and rivals that of many basketball and football programs.

.....as I've said in other threads on the subject, don't knock that which you don't know, because your ignorance will come up and bite you on the backside.

'nuff sed. :evil:

Damn Sparky, Holy personal attack. Are you having a bad day or something. Go ahead and state you opinion (even if it differs from mine)but you dont know "jack" about me, my physical condition, or my driving ability. I didnt realize you were a professional driving expert and know all there is to know about NASCAR. and I also didnt realize I needed to be an expert on a subject before offering an opinion on this message board. I obviously struck a nerve with you, but you can lay off the personal attacks and keep it clean.

By the way I just want to say that Limo is not a "race car". It was simply painted up to look like one, probably either for fun or for advertising purposes. That picture was taken on a regular highway.

jps4jeep said:
and Danica Patrick Is still super hot!
When they were introducing the drivers Sunday morning, she looked a little like Michael Jackson, kind of weird. That's the only time I've seen her though.

RE: caught a snag that kept me from starting today...

Just to let everyone know that Limo is not a race car. It was simply painted up like one either just for fun or for advertising purposes. That picture was obviously taken on the highway...not on a track.

and jps4jeep, don't tell a cheerleader that cheerleading is not a sport. My junior or senior year I made that mistake and man....they take it VERY personally!!

Satellite Plug and Play Tuners - do they work OK?

yea we were on the highway on our way to KC, i guess maybe you hire it to drive to a race? or just cruise around and watch the race? the difference between golf and racing is the fact that in NASCAR they're DRIVING A CAR. how is that sporting, granted you have to be in good shape, but that makes anyone who drives fast an "athlete' no way. walking requires physical fitness too, imagine if you couldnt walk more than 10 feet without becoming out ofbreath and falling down. now imagine doing that the 20 feet across a street with cars coming. that could nearly kill you too. im not saying i can do it, but i cant play golf either which is why im neither a NASCAR driverr or pro golfer.

sparky just because its hot and stuff doenst mean its a sport. are astronauts athletes? no, they're athletic, but not athletes and they put up with way worse conditions than jeff gordon

and 88 wrangles that is the best piece of advice you can ever give a high schooler. i made many an enemy with cheerleaders in high school by telling them waving streamers around and yelling cheers doesnt make them a sport.

jeepmaster said:
yea we were on the highway on our way to KC, i guess maybe you hire it to drive to a race? or just cruise around and watch the race? the difference between golf and racing is the fact that in NASCAR they're DRIVING A CAR. how is that sporting, granted you have to be in good shape, but that makes anyone who drives fast an "athlete' no way. walking requires physical fitness too, imagine if you couldnt walk more than 10 feet without becoming out ofbreath and falling down. now imagine doing that the 20 feet across a street with cars coming. that could nearly kill you too. im not saying i can do it, but i cant play golf either which is why im neither a NASCAR driverr or pro golfer.

sparky just because its hot and stuff doenst mean its a sport. are astronauts athletes? no, they're athletic, but not athletes and they put up with way worse conditions than jeff gordon

and 88 wrangles that is the best piece of advice you can ever give a high schooler. i made many an enemy with cheerleaders in high school by telling them waving streamers around and yelling cheers doesnt make them a sport.

In high school chearleaders got an exception. When hot girls dress up in tight outfits with short skirts, I dont care what they call it I am all for it. Once college hit cheerleaders didnt look so hot anymore. I dontknow why that is.

Auto racing may be a sport.....but a racing limo??? Whether or not auto racing is a sport......that's just wrong. Someone has too much time on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back