Re-gearing questions

jfrabat

Guys,

I have a few questions regarding my axles and diffs:

1) What would I need to regear my differentials? I currently have the 4.10 runing 31" tires, but since I am planning on going to 33" tires, I am considering going to 4.56 or 4.88 gears to compensate (because this is a daily driver, I may still go with the 4.56 to get better mileage, but I have not yet decided; I will NOT go to 35", as the Dana 30's will end up breaking).

2) Is it worth regearing the Dana 30's, or am I better off changing the axles for a Ford 8.8 or scout axle or something along those lines?

3) If I run 33" tires and lockers, what is the risk of the Dana 30 breaking? I do plan to do some offroading, but no rock climbing or anything similar.

Felipe

4.10 to 4.56 isn't much of a change to warrant the time and money involved in regearing, not much bang for the buck.

Go with 4.88 and you'll be pretty happy with the 33" tires.

Your stock axles should hold up just fine with the 33" tires and 4.88 gears, the 2.5L isn't that hard on parts. If you hammer on the jeep offroad, then you'll want to consider an 8.8 in the rear to replace the D35. Your front D30 should hold up fine.

Bounty,

What would be involved in regearing? Only buying the ring and pinion gears, plus the work, or do I need anything else?

Felipe

Will 4.88 fit into the stock 35c (Rear) and 30 (Front) Carriers??? 1990 YJ THANX

Install kits. You will be able to re-use your carriers.

If you are thinking of doing lockers then you ought to do them at the same time to save labor $$$

Will 4.88 fit into the stock 35c (Rear) and 30 (Front) Carriers??? 1990 YJ THANX

Depends on the factory gear ratio. 4.11 stock carriers will also work with anything numerically higher. 3.07 stock carriers won't work with low 4.11 and 4.88 gears. The cutoff ratio is different for the front and rear carriers. What is your stock ratio?

How do I find out??? what size they are Im getting ready to by 4.88 or 4.56 and don't want to buy new Carriers

Depends on the factory gear ratio. 4.11 stock carriers will also work with anything numerically higher. 3.07 stock carriers won't work with low 4.11 and 4.88 gears. The cutoff ratio is different for the front and rear carriers. What is your stock ratio?

Check out the tags bolted to each differential under a cover bolt. The first three digits of one of the lines will be the ratio.

Otherwise pull the cover and get the pair of numbers off the side of the ring gear, it'll be the tooth counts of the ring and pinion gears. Ring gear divided by the pinion gear will give you the ratio.

How do I find out??? what size they are Im getting ready to by 4.88 or 4.56 and don't want to buy new Carriers
Judging by your sig with the 4banger and i'll go out on a limb and guess you have the 5 speed i'd say 4.11. Don't quote me on that though and if you have the auto it's like 3.53 right guys?

Tag is 53008521 Second # is 11 605423-10

Check out the tags bolted to each differential under a cover bolt. The first three digits of one of the lines will be the ratio.

Otherwise pull the cover and get the pair of numbers off the side of the ring gear, it'll be the tooth counts of the ring and pinion gears. Ring gear divided by the pinion gear will give you the ratio.

looks like I got it...53008521 --- 90 Wrangler --- 35 --- 4.11 ---

I got the info from :

hxxp://www.kctruckplaza.com/JeepPartList/Jeep%20Axle%20ID%20Info%20Chart.pdf

So, with 4:11 Gears in, will 4:88 fit and work better then the 4:56 with the 4 Banger 33" tires 5 speed? Thanx

If it were me (4banger owner), I would listen to Bounty and go with the 4.88's.........I'm just not ready to do it yet. As you well know, it depends on what you want to ultimately do..............really sucks, doesn't it????

hmmmmm..............gears, axles, tires, lift, $$$$$$$$$$$$$..........................

But I still love owning a Jeep.....at least you have options!!

The 4banger 5spd has 4.10 gears most all the time, and you're best off with 4.88. You are in luck and can reuse the stock carriers.

I am going to go with the 4.88,,, Now to find someone to install????:redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

Back