Real Jeeps? your opinion please

And I have GPS, U-Connect, leather seats, splash guards, satellite radio too.
That tough COD is a modern real Jeep.

you guys are hilarious, check on delivery, a fish or call of duty, ha ha ha

I have to say that the first thing I judge about a jeep is full vs. half doors. Half doors are the only way to go for me.

I have to say that the first thing I judge about a jeep is full vs. half doors. Half doors are the only way to go for me.

I've got both. Half doors are great in the summer, but full doors are the way to go in the winter. I hate having to unzip my windows for drive-thrus, to talk to people, etc. Not to mention they are warmer and quieter.

TerryMason said:
I've got both. Half doors are great in the summer, but full doors are the way to go in the winter. I hate having to unzip my windows for drive-thrus, to talk to people, etc. Not to mention they are warmer and quieter.

Yeah, that would be the best of both worlds. I am just prejudice, I have only had half doors on both the jeeps I have owned. If I got one with full doors I would probably be spoiled by it. But I do prefer the look of the half doors when the top is off (which mine always was in the summer)

when my top is off, the doors are off so i don;t worry about the look, ha ha ha.

i guess if i had both, i would be kind of picky also but since we have only had hard tops and full doors on the wranglers, i don;t know what its like to have the other way

[QUOTE="superj" we have only had hard tops and full doors on the wranglers, i don;t know what its like to have the other way[/QUOTE]

I feel sad for you.....:-( now get that top off and take those doors off. Unless u have to wait till may, then I suggest 4wd and a full tank of gas :)

when i know the weather is going to be good for a while, i take everything off. my problem is having no garage and i have to take the hard top off by myself.

That sucks my last Jeep I had both hard and soft tops and taking off that hard top by urself sucks. Ratchet straps and hook them to the nearest tree. LOL.

I work in a auto parts store and get to meet alot of people,some of which are jeep owners.Having owned jeeps since 1978,i have been asked a few times over the years this question: "I heard some guy talking about REAL jeeps,Chic Jeeps,etc," so then they will always ask me what does that mean? what is a real jeep,chic jeep,manly jeep,on and on.My answer is always this: its a matter of opinion,BUT,in my mind a REAL JEEP has to have at the bare minimum:
1.A fold down windshield
2.A manual transmission
3.A inline engine,either 4 or 6 cyl
4.2 doors.
this doesnt mean my old 75 wagoneer isnt a real jeep,or my wifes cherokee sport isnt a real jeep.this just means in my humble opinion the WWII army issue jeep is the GOLD standard by which all others are judged,so i came up with this:

on a 1,000 point scale,deduct "manly" points for:
1.deduct 500 points for automatic trans
2.deduct 400 points for a/c
3.deduct 300 points for power windows/locks
4.more than 2 doors deduct 500 points

add manly points for:
1.dana 44 front AND rear add 300 points
2.dana 60's front and rear add 800 points
3.front AND rear spools add 500 points
4.front and rear REAL lockers(mechanical) add 200 points
5.no points for air lockers,but no deduction
6.add huge manly points if you drive your jeep with no top year-round,espescially if you live north of interstate 64.

a "CHIC" jeep of course is any liberty,compass,patriot,and maybe 80% of grand cherokee's....just my opinion..dont be hatin,lol

Superb post and agree 344% et, al. I do not know all the SUVs anymore and most don't wave either. No offense to anyone intended. I'm on Jeep 26, after Jeepin' for 44 years since 1967. My latest was a wreck, total, 1983 CJ7, and rebuilt 21 years ago from a total. It now has 1,187,567 miles on it as of tonight, on its 5th inline 258 6. It has Air Lockers, 1969 points and condensor iginition from a 1966 corvette. T-18, 4:1 gears, 4:1 transfercase, 1 ton Ford DLs w/CV. It is a daily driver and has no top on since late 2009. I am here in Las Cruces NM, now, back inside the US. It has been across the Sahara Desert twice now and with the 12,000 LB. winches front and rear and 1" steel plate lining the frame and bumpers I built, it has been quite robust.

VEX:

image-missing.png

VEX, on the Mexican-US border, Antelope Wells, NM, 2010

Great topic and post. Hat is tipped. Behold.

Robert

Back