Rear Axle Noise (Dana 44)

trailjeep

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

I had a clunking noise coming from the driver side rear tire. It was most noticeable when coasting but not accelerating. I could move the tire in and out and hear the clunk. I thought it was the wheel bearing causing the noise. I replaced the pressed on bearing and retainer ring. I have a shop press. I also replaced the oil seal and outer bearing retainer. There is still too much end play on the shaft. The clunk is still there. It has the exact same sound when driving. There is nothing left to replace. I made absolutely sure the bearing and oil seal went on the correct way. I also made sure the nuts on the outer bearing retainer were tight. Am I missing something?

I used a Timken bearing and it pressed on the shaft tight. There is no slop. I made sure the bearing and retainer ring was fully seated. They are pressed on all the way.

I am having the same exact issue. Both sides have new wheel bearings, seals, etc. driver side clunk when off the accelerator, I am thinking that it might be the side bearing inside the diff? Please let me know If you found what the issue was.

Back