rear main on XJ

pinaplebob

Alright i'm sure this has been asked before but i'll ask again. What is involved in changing a rear main in a XJ 4.0 with a 5 speed? I've heard rumors of possible being able to do it without moving the trans. is that possible? Or am I looking at alot of diassembly? Are there any good write up's or tech articles out there. I've googled it, but haven't found anything worth writting home about. Thanks.

Nevermind, I found a couple of decent tech articles.....sorry to waste the space.

Alright after find a couple of site here's my question. Is there only one seal? A buddy of mine who mainly works on cars was wondering if their is a upper and a lower rear main. He seems to think that you have to drop the trans to change it. I've showed him this write up..... http://jeepin.com/features/rearmain/index.asp and he asked if their is a upper rear main also?

thanks

It is one 'two-piece' seal, with upper and lower halves that you can change without removing the transmission. After removing the rear bearing cap and lower seal half, you force the upper seal half out from around the crank journal.

That's what I found.....two decent write ups on it. Just making sure that there isn't another seal up top. Thank you very much Bounty.

Back