Recommend a winch plate for my TJ

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
After getting stuck a few times on my trip out to Burning Rock offroad park, I've decided to pick up a winch. My plan is to buy the Badlands Apex 12,000 LB winch from Harbor Freight

The one thing that I'm not sure about is the proper winch plate. Can someone recommend an affordable winch plate? I'm a fan of bare steel, or paint, but I'm not a fan of powdercoating.

Here's the custom bumper that I'm running

PXL_20240306_231504286.jpg

PXL_20240306_231458201.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I've found one that seems to fit my description from Under Cover Fabworks:
It's 1/4 inch steel and comes bare metal. The rub is that it's $150 plus shipping.

I'm torn because I could get one from Rough Country for $69 including shipping:
They don't mention the thickness of the metal however.

I'm not sure which way I'll go. I don't want to throw away money. I wish I could find the thickness of the Rough Country plate.

B-bye mpg… B-bye level jeep…, B-bye low engine temps…

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

B-bye mpg… B-bye level jeep…, B-bye low engine temps…

Man, I hadn't thought of any of that.
I do think I need a winch, and will probably buy one anyway, but darn.

Yeah and you have the RC 2.5 in lift that sags while looking at it? Get a one of your friends to stand on the bumper and see if it sags.

Put it on when you go out wheeling. Not sure how hard it is but you could do that. Were you investing in dual batteries?

One thing that may happen is now that you have one everyone counts on you to save them. People get sloppy because they think it is a safety net.

Many people overlook the usefulness of a hi-jack or come-along as a winching device.
With a few snatch blocks you could pool lots of weight.

IMG_5666.JPG
IMG_5667.JPG

Last edited:
I've got a comealong, but never take it offroad. It just feels janky and a bit dangerous, with the metal hooks and cables. I get nervous thinking about a cable snapping while I'm right on top of it cranking. I like the idea of a winch with a remote and synthetic line.

I've also got a hi-lift jack, but about 7 years ago I was using it in the driveway when it collapsed (I jacked up too high) and whomped me in the leg. Only a bruise, but it really put a bad taste in my mouth after that. I now bring a 6 ton bottle jack with me offroad.

I don't have dual batteries, but do have a one year old optima yellow top. I also keep a lithium jump pack in the jeep, should I have to jump a dead battery.

That's a good idea, to put it on only when wheeling. I'm only really out there 4-5 days a year, so probably not worth the weight of the winch not to mention the weather / rust that the winch would take the rest of the time.

You don’t think you can replace the metal line and hooks with synthetic line on the come along?

My point was the hijack could be used like a come along if you have ropes or chords

These are just ideas anybody could do what they want. Including you! Ha ha he he

Back