Recommend a good solar energy kit

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
My birthday is coming up in a month, and I'm thinking about getting a small solar setup to go on top of my shed. I've got a local Harbor Freight store, and was thinking about getting this 45 watt kit:

Solar Panel Kit - Save on this 45 Watt Solar Panel Kit

I wouldn't be looking to do much more than power some fountain pumps, and maybe a light or two. One of my co-workers mentioned that you can plug this into your home current, and reduce my overall power bill, which sounds interesting (although I'm sure more equipment is needed for that).

What do you guys think of this kit? Is anyone here doing anything with solar power?

You definitely need a cut out switch. If you don't and the powerlines go down the short can melt your wiring and/or zap a lineman on the pole. I have a 45 watt panel to keep my 4D battery charged up at my cabin for LED lights and motion security camera. It's not enough to keep the battery full, but I also have a low amperage radio hooked to it for tunes.
Check the solder connections. Many use the cheap solder which melts under heavy load, leaving you without power.

Back