Removing the Rear Sway Bar

jeepmaster

ive been poking around some other jeep sites and have noticed that a lot of XJ's and ZJ's have been removing their rear sway bar for more flex. is this a permanent removal? or do they put it back on after wheeling.? if you were to remove it could you still drive safely on the road? if so, how hard is it to remove? and would it be worth doing?

Most of them keep it off. Last time I wheeled with sudz he said it finally felt like the back end was flexing.
he has disconnects for the front, so if we hit a nasty off-camber he could reconnect to keep it more stable. I guess you could fab up some disconnects for the rear too if ya like.

so thats a yay to taking it off? hey sudz - what kinda project is that? am i gonna roll my jeep on the road? lol

you can take the rear off without too much ill effect - the rear sway bar is real weak as it is... the rear on my ZJ moves as much wioht the sway still connected as the front when I disconnect the front...You gain an inch or 2 from the rear... Disconnects can be put on the rear but because of the placement they are a real pain to get to.

I removed mine from mt TJ. I saw no real change I am sur a cherokee can do the same

ok im doing it, one last question pre-project question, will it make my rear sag anymore or anything? my rear tires already rub a bit on big bumps so i'm trying to keep the body off them as much as possible.. how do i locate the sway bar? whats it look like exactly?

it will not cause any "sag" but if you rub with the swaybar on now it will rub more without the swaybar. My Sawy bar was connected to the frame with bushings inside a U-shaped bracket. the Bar itself was connected to the Acle with plastic arms and it was bent to go over the Diff and Drive shaft.

my friend has a xj w/ 5" lift and 31's and he hasnt had swaybars front or rear in about 4 months and he has no objections

Back