Replacing 1996 Cherokee Sport heater motor/ fan

javelin6870

New to this forum and relatively inexperienced with repairs on this Jeep. I have a howl or screech when the heater switch is engaged. The fan speed works in all positions and seems to put out a fair amount of air. I don't think I have a motor issue unless the squealing is coming from a bad bearing in the motor. Sometimes but not always the noise will stop completely after the fan runs for a while or if I put the fan on high. Cold usually causes the howling nosie to occur. Unfortunately, it's hit or miss. I can't make the noise occur nor can I make it stop. The noise happens whenever "it" wants to make noise. I'd like to try to do this repair myself but wonder if anyone can provide steps and or photos on how to do this. I checked all of the posts but can't figure out if you attack this repair from the engine bay or from inside the car. Thanks for any input, I'll review any replies later today. Thanks again.

You can try lubricating both sides of the motor shaft and sometimes that will last awhile.

Thanks for the input. Tackled the job yesterday (Saturday). Wasn't too bad. Pulled the old motor and replaced with a new one. Cleaned out some leaves and debris from the housing. The squeal and howl disappeared once I replaced the motor (accessed from the engine compartment). Motor must have had a bad bearing.

Back