resto wheels/tires

unclebill

alright oh great and powerful cj swami's
i want to get the correct wheels and some tall skinny tires for my jeep.
that look correct for the time it left the factory.
it is my understanding that military type unidirectional tires stink on and off pavement.
which is a shame because i like that look.
this jeep isnt going hardcore 4 wheeling ever.
no rock climbing.
no mud bogging
etc.
just easy trail drives.
and to show off to the old farts downtown.....
do you have any advice for me?
thank you.

Alright Uncle bill, i found these set of 20" 5 spoke chrome wheels and a set of 35" Mud slingers for your CJ. This ough't to give it that BLING BLING.:D
Just kidding, These are replacement wheels and tires. Check e'm out . Tires - Firestone Non Directional Tire 7.00 x 16" Square Shoulder <br>Fits 41-71 Jeep & Willys
Rims & Hub Caps - Steel Civilian Wheel Rim 16" <br>Fits 41-71 Jeep & Willys
They also have the split combat style wheels.
sorry
but theres this one cat that is the cooolest.
and HE runs
35x14.5 15 Pittbull Krawlers

so i hafta too!;)

older stock ford rims will fit and you can get them dirt cheap

I am confused, are you looking for stock replacement rims or some bling bling rims?

Personally the whole I have black steel wheels is pretty lame, kinda like the mullet, we all did it before, it's over, move on and people still doing it haven't gotten out of the early 90's.

I personally really like machine gray painted wheels, my own wheels are blue and the bead lock ring is a nice mix of honda silver, and rust patina.

another cool wheel you don't see enough of is the old school turbine wheels.

if your going stock, some old cj's had aluminum 5 slot kidney wheels which I always thought were hot.

The military NDT tires can be a little squirrelly on the road and they are not too good in the rain. Make sure you have the pressure right so you're not riding on the center rib. Off road they seem to do OK most of the time for trail rides, farm work, and such (no "hard core" wheeling). They do have incredible sidewalls which stand up to rocks, roots, etc very well. Remember, these are tube-type, bias-ply tires.
A 63 CJ, I'm quite sure, would not have come stock with NDTs. The only CJs that came with NDTs I believe were the early CJ2As. There are some tall skinny modern tires out there if you want better road manners. Best of luck - John

The military NDT tires can be a little squirrelly on the road and they are not too good in the rain. Make sure you have the pressure right so you're not riding on the center rib. Off road they seem to do OK most of the time for trail rides, farm work, and such (no "hard core" wheeling). They do have incredible sidewalls which stand up to rocks, roots, etc very well. Remember, these are tube-type, bias-ply tires.
A 63 CJ, I'm quite sure, would not have come stock with NDTs. The only CJs that came with NDTs I believe were the early CJ2As. There are some tall skinny modern tires out there if you want better road manners. Best of luck - John
according to the FSM this jeep came with 6.00-16 tires

Those would be the "pancake" wheels, which are tube type. They probably had a "town and country" type of tire on them when new. I bet you could see the tread pattern in some old sales ads. Surplus City Jeep parts probably still sells the wheels. Just make sure you tell them you are doing a resto and that you want the wheels to match. Otherwise you'll likely get some welded wheels and some riveted wheels. They also made heavy wheels and light wheels (heavy might be military) and even some that had hubcap mounting "bumps". So you definitely want them to sell you a matched set. When you go to do the tires make sure they put flaps in with the tubes. The Jeep will look really cool on those wheels. Best of luck - John

Back