Restored vs. Reproduced

highheelsonwheels

Jeep restorers....

Did it ever crossed your mind that while you're restoring your jeep, you find that a lot of parts corrode easily and you can't restore them and instead you have to find it a replacement? But then, is the jeep still called an original even if there are reproduced parts?

Ok, so here's the thought:

How do we establish if a jeep is a "Restored Original" or a "Reproduction"?

When do you consider it an original; if it solely has original parts? Or do you still consider it original even if there are small parts replaced in it?

What makes the jeep "original"? Is it the body, the chassis, or what else..? (Like, take it out and it will no longer be considered original. Or there's an exception for which parts are replaced?)

I don't think this matters as much for most Jeeps - as owners seldom keep the stock parts on anyway. Having said that, I do hold an old CJ in higher regards if it's all original, vs a new fiberglass body, aftermarket seats, etc. I wouldn't worry about the smaller parts, as long as it's the stock frame, body, etc. I would probably consider it original if it had swapped parts from an identical year Jeep.

There was a car guy I use to work with would wanted only original - he spent hours rebuilding the stock alternator by hand. That's a level of detail that I'm not into.

You have raised a very good question. I don't think it's easily answered. I've been forllowing Scramblers for several years on Ebay and Craigslist and I know the closer they are to original the more they bring. Now that being said, you sometimes see that really nice one on 35's with a V8 swap that's eat up with eye candy and they bid for it like crazy. Generally if you find one that is all orig and has been restored with mostly NOS or good refurbed original parts it will bring more. Where do you draw the line? That's anthor good question. I think it depends on the Jeep. You take a '79 silver anniversary edition that's just like it came from AMC or a Golden Eagle there just arent many around that are all orig. Plus the early model's like the MB's, CJ2's and 3's are increasing in value for the same reason. If it's very orig and wouldn't take much to keep it that way I'd go the extra mile. If it's going to take a ton of work, $$$ and a big part of your life to bring it back you have to ask yourself is it worth it. Then again, are you doing it for the money or is there a personal reason?
I wouldn't so much sweat things like a tail light lens, floor mats and the smaller stuff as I would repro fenders or an aftermarket tub. Some parts you just don't have much choice on. If your willing to wait patiently and be ready with cash on hand, you'd be amazed at what you see pop up on ebay though. You have to be a student of it all though, repro parts are often passed off as NOS.

Back