retiming the engine

jeeperjoe

i pulled out my distributor the other day and it didnt go back in the same way. does anyone know how to get the #1 to top dead center on the compression stroke?

Well, the way I do it is to remove #1 plug, the coil wire and put your finger on the plug hole. click starter with a remote starter button. When pressure releases on your finger and timing mark is seen, you are at top dead center.

Which exhuast system to choose?

I was told but have never done this. Get an air compressor plug to fit your plug hole and remove all the plugs and apply air pressure as if you are going to remove the valve springs to do a valve seat replacement and the engin will roll over to top dead center in the cylinder you have the Air pressure hooked up to. Any comments on this methoid would be nice cause like I said never tryed it but will be soon. tug

Hi Tug,

I cannot understand how air pressure applied to the Number-1 cylinder will roll the engine to top dead center for that cylinder.

If anything, the piston would tend to be forced downward to the bottom of the stroke by the air pressure -- and even that assumes the piston was on the power stroke and both valves were closed.

We previously had a long thread about this topic. I will see if I can find that thread and insert a link here via an edit.

Regards,

Gadget

Here's a blurb I found that should help you out.

"Finding 0° TDC on the compression stroke:

Remove your spark plugs after taking note of which post on the stock distributor cap is the # 1 terminal. Place a wine cork (or the finger of a second person) in the #1 spark plug hole. Don't force the cork into the hole, we want it to be able to come out when the piston compresses. Place a (3/4"?) wrench or socket on the vibration damper's bolt, rotate clockwise until the wine cork pops out so you now know this is the compression stroke. Note: Always rotate the engine in a "clockwise" direction as you look at the vibration damper. Continue turning until the timing mark shows 0° TDC. Make sure you have not made a complete 360° turn. If you did, this will be the exhaust stroke and you will need to start over."

This writeup was intended for an I-6 but should work in almost any application.

Thanks, Firemanharry,

I could not locate the old thread on this topic via the search function.

It does not matter now. Your post immediately above is exactly what I was looking for.

Regards,

Gadget

Back