Reverse Grinding

blackjeep24

Does anyone know why all of a sudden the reverse gear can start grinding? I made sure the clutch is all the way in and that the shift boot is out of the way. Double pumping the clutch works but I wonder why it does the grinding without that?

Ussually, you will get a grinf in Reverse as a result of it not having any syncro... But if it did not do it before, I dont know why it would start up now. Try going into 5th before going into reverse... I got so used to doing it in my old cars (these were actual CARS - as in sedans -; no mistake this time! HAHAHAHA!!!), that now I do it without even realizing, and it helps stop the grinding.

Felipe

Have you checked your clutch fluid level? Sounds to me as though you're either low on fluid, or your slave cylinder is getting weak, since pumping it keeps it from grinding.

It is a 1990 and the fluids are not checked yet but that is a great start thanks

Change the fluid, and I'd bet $$ that the old fluid will be full of gold glitter. The glitter used to be your synchronizers.

Put in Redline MT90 and you may greatly improve your shifting and put off a rebuild for a while.

The only reason R to be synchro would be more than 1 R:?|

If there are pieces of the syncro from the other gears, they could (theoretically) affect R... Just a thought.

I didn't think reverse was synchronized?

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. i'm with Sparky on this one. Check the clutch linkage and clutch fluid levels, and finally the effectiveness of that cylinder. I'm not too savy on hydraulic clutches, but that's my best guess. Good call Sparky.

a YJ? master cylinder...it's common, the hydro clutch on these suck. It's usually the first to go, then there goes 4 gear.

Back