Reverse Pop!!!!

LtFuzz

Recently, everytime i shift into reverse (manual) i have to apply pressure to the stick to get it to stay in gear. As soon as my hand comes off, it pops right out. Sometimes it will pop out even as i'm holding it in and make a really obnoxious noise....no good.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

1987 YJ - Stock transmission (rebuilt)

Mike Cox
AFROTC Det 157

is the shifter coming in contact with any ody parts, etc?

1987 YJ - Stock transmission (rebuilt) That says it all. It is either touching the floor pan or the transmission is worn.

RE: Re: RE: August goings ons..........

my 91 did that in 2nd - if i didnt hold it it would pop out - wound up skipping 2nd most of the time - not an easy task w/reverse - w/no external linkage = bent/bad shift fork (that was my problem) is prob it unfortunately - hope i'm wrong....

RE: Chat Room Active (if only by one)

rebuild or R/R... sorry bout the grammar b/4 - rushing not proofreading....

Mine did that when it got into the colder months. The shift boots get cold and stiff causing it to pop out of gear. I pulled mine off and and redrilled em about an inch back towards the console.

RE: Weber choke

yea... the body cutout can do it if you did a xfer case drop w/the lift - i trimmed mine a bit this time on my 89 - didnt on the last jeep and may be why 2nd gear beefed on me - not fully engaged will make it pop out and the more it does it the easier it gets to doing it... make sense? hope so...

Back