Roll cages, nerf bars, and bumpers

Joseph.smith54

Lets talk about safety. Any input is welcome. I have driven some ratty vehicles including my 74 Cj5 that if I pushed the clutch in, the body would lift an inch. If I tried hard enough, I'm sure I could have kicked a whole in the floor. A little wiser now. I'd like to see some setups and hear about products that you guys are using to keep you and your passengers intact. Daily drivers or off-road kings.

Yup. That was a great modification and once I get this 76 cj5 semi decent, I am going to try and make its cage the same type. I dont like that single point of contact if you flip over so you are rocking like a teeter Toter. I want the people in the seats safe

I have a 6 point cage that came with my 76. I don't know a brand or much else than that. I've been told that I can get extensions for the front mounts so that it would actually be mounting to the frame. Sounds like a good idea to me.

We used a cj5 front cage on my buddies cj7. It came pre bent and with floor plates.

I run a Smittybuilt front CJ cage in my YJ, it's a weld-in kit for under $200. Added a dash bar and a horizontal bar above and behind the rear seat.

2Q==
This is a cage tie in kit from gen right offroad,(GRC-5500). The part with the bushing would bolt or weld to your frame, the tubes would weld to the metal sleeve of the bushing and the other end welded to the square plates, the plates would bolt to your cage floor plates from underneath the jeep, so the floor of the jeep is sandwiched between the cage floor plates and the frame tie in plate. Wranglers do not have full cages, the front of their cage mounts to the windshield which is often crushed in a roll over (not much protection) most wrangler cage kits do away with the windshield attachment point and

Sorry pic didn't post. Google cage frame tie in kits.

Having rolled my jeep plenty of times, I am concerned with the material used to make the cage and the integrity of that cage more than anything. My current cage has been on it's lid at least 3 times that I recall. The only stock part of the cage is the B pillar. The front of the cage is 2" -.120 wall DOM with 1.75 .120 wall DOM winshield bar, door bars and seat mounts. The gussets are 1.5" .25 wall DOM. the rear of the cage is all 1.75 .120 wall DOM.

A lot of the mass produced "Trail" cages are IMHO not suitable protection for a hard roll let along multiple rolls since a lot of them use at best HREW tube, some are sch 80 pipe. Easiest way to tell HREW is to feel the inside diameter and you will feel the welded seam. My first rad hoop was HREW and I put it into a rock somewhat hard and that tube completely split at the seam, and I even had the seam on the inside radius of the bend. This is not to say that some bought DIY cages are not DOM or better materials, but those "kits" generally sell for upwards of $600 for weld your self.

Back