ROLL OVER Angle??

DerekC

Got a quick quick question. With a narrow track CJ7 running 33s and 4" lift at what degree is a rollover likely. Not a rock crawling guy, but today I was on a trail that was went through the woods and the angle of the trail lean sharply to left. thought about getting a tip gauge but may not be accurate with lift and tires.

-D-

A standard clinometer (tip gauge) will be accurate no matter what size tires and lift, at least as far as showing the angle you are sitting. So, once you find out what your actual rollover angle is, the clinometer will be a valuable asset. I've got a cheap one mounted in the YJ, mostly just for kicks, but the angle on it is very accurate.

I have a YJ dont know the angle of tip on it but now I use the O-SHIT! method when I say that I know I am getting close because that is what I said 10 sec. before the first time I rolled it. HA HA Also when are going to give me more info on that YJ you want to get rid of? BDYJ

I actually tipped my old Toyota over in a muddy ditch once after swerving (stupid thing to do) to miss a deer. The mud was so deep and thick that it was a very, very slow roll. I almost could have gotten out in the time it took to tip over. The passenger side mirror planted about 3 inches deep in the other side of the ditch, and the driver's side wheels were about a foot off the ground. I got out, and pushed it back upright by hand....that's how close it was to the roll angle. Took me 2 hours to shovel enough sand and brush under the wheels to get back on the road (yeah, I was alone, it was 4am, and miles from anywhere (stupid, also).

Re: RE: Tire Pressure?

Didn't involve an old red barn did it, Sparky??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Run it up slowly on an angle with acouple of people to catch you before you roll. Then you will know what the angle is.

Toyota SR5 pickups had a little setup of a clinometer, altimeter, and somthing else if you can find one in a wrecking yard.

for a YJ, 45 degrees is the break over angle for a stock YJ front to rear. side ways it is about 60 degree give or take, but remember when you lift a vehicle, those nubers change greatly.. I rolled My YJ a couple weeks back and the anlge side to side was more in teh area of 45 degree's

WILLYS JEEP

BigDaddy...YJ sold here to a local guy. I buy and sell vehicles for a little extra $$$ now and then, will let you know if I find another jeep anytime soon.
As for the "tip gauge" CollinsBros has some very inexpensive ones, think I will pick one up.

-D-

Re: Tire Pressure?

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
A standard clinometer (tip gauge)
.....well You Guys have done it AGAIN! Found something else for me to spend money on for the JEEP! :?

My El Cheapo Clinometer was only around $15, and sticks onto the dash with an adhesive pad. I wish I'd gotten the Smitty Bilt one like I had in my Toyota, it is only $24.95 at 4wd.com. It's the one with the backlight for night driving.

jps4jeep said:
for a YJ, 45 degrees is the break over angle for a stock YJ front to rear. side ways it is about 60 degree give or take, but remember when you lift a vehicle, those nubers change greatly.. I rolled My YJ a couple weeks back and the anlge side to side was more in teh area of 45 degree's

What?!? Am I reading this right: If I'm going up a 45 degree hill, I'll roll over backwards? This can't be right! Or do you mean by break-over angle, that traversing from a flat plain to a 45 degree downhill slope is when my belly will rub? Because I've climbed a few hills that I'm pretty sure were steeper than 45 degrees.

RE: Wiper Motor replacement on 94 Cherokee Sport

Ya, you should be able to climb stuff steeper than 45*. I know I could in my Jeep that was lifted quite a bit.

By the way the Toyota clinometer/altimeter/? setup has a backlight in it too.

Breakover angle is figured using the wheelbase and the height of the bellypan, it's what you can clear under the jeep.

Everything else mentioned is Center of Gravity, wether it be fore/aft or side to side.

Then you've got your approach and departure angles.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Breakover angle is figured using the wheelbase and the height of the bellypan, it's what you can clear under the jeep.

Everything else mentioned is Center of Gravity, wether it be fore/aft or side to side.

Then you've got your approach and departure angles.

That's kinda what I always figured. Didn't see where breakover angle played into roll-over angle......

Time for the Tourney!

Wow, once I find a weighing station, I am doing that. Gonna try and pull one of those SR5 things out too. Know if it dash mounted or was it like a gauge cluster that went in there with the speedo etc. . . ?

The clinometer that I've seen on 4runner SR5's was built into the top of the dash. Looks like you could pull it and build a housing for it.

Back