Roll over

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
http://rubiconscat.com/Stoddard/HDR09/Rollmovie.html

sent to me, excellent example of what not to do in this situation. one can only speculate what the driver did or was thinking, it appears that he might have stalled, but fight the urge and leave your arms in the vehicle.

As well some really good info as what to do after the roll. Everyone should be calm and collect.

Was a violent roll, I think it's the cooler over the spare tire that did it.

As to 'What not to do', can you spell out what was done wrong in this situation?

That makes me want to cry. Its hard to tell by the video how steep that incline was. He seemed to not be able to get traction, started spinning the tires, he let off the gas and slid down a bit, back drivers side tire seemed to go down in a hole and it just started going over. Very very scary. I will definitely not try any kind of hill climbs like that without getting a roll cage first.:( The other vehicles seemed to go up so smoothly with no issues.:???:

exactly what was wrong.. On the first roll, he stuck his arm outside the window. on a couple of the rolls, you can see body limbs outside the safety of the cage. Like I mentioned, in this situation, you need to try to keep your body in the cage at all time, I know.. Easier said than done.

I can't be too sure by the video on what exactly went wrong, I looked at it a couple times, it sounds like he stalled, appears he pushed the clutch in, tire facing the wrong way, started to roll back and slammed the brakes to stop rolling backwards, the suspension appear to load and unload at the exact moment he hit his brakes cause the loft in the front end.

It also looked like he had way too much air in his tires, he fought that incline the whole way.

Link doesn't work for me either.

Edit: Never mind it does now.

Last edited:

I can't be too sure by the video on what exactly went wrong, I looked at it a couple times, it sounds like he stalled, appears he pushed the clutch in, tire facing the wrong way, started to roll back and slammed the brakes to stop rolling backwards, the suspension appear to load and unload at the exact moment he hit his brakes cause the loft in the front end.
I noticed an arm up to the rollbar but didn't see any come out. Must not have watched close enough.

As far 'how' it happened, he's climbing the first hill and turns left to climb the second hill. When he rolls backwards he hits the first hill, the left rear tire being 'downhill' and the right rear 'uphill' on that first hill. That's what pitched him over.

Someone on that website commented about "locker creep" this way:

"I'm watched the video several times now. From what I can see, I would be willing to bet that this driver had front and rear lockers engaged. I see the rear and wheel tires spinning together in low traction substrate. With lockers on (especially in the front), he's getting "locker creep." Watch the front axle, the wheels spin together (lockers) and his vehicle "scoots" or "creeps" to the left, down hill... then the vehicle looses traction altogether, then down the hill. Locker creep... few people know of it."

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Larry

Watch the front axle, the wheels spin together (lockers) and his vehicle "scoots" or "creeps" to the left, down hill... then the vehicle looses traction altogether, then down the hill. Locker creep... few people know of it."

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Larry
Ya, he didn't roll from creeping sideways, he rolled because as the jeep backed down, the rear tires hit a sidehill and pitched him sideways.

Never heard of locker creep, sounds kinda like crabwalking.

I got the link to work and after watching it and reading all the comments. They were only wearing the lap belt part of a seat belt harness. So this leaves the torso free to move around which I think allowed their arms to get outside of the cage. I don't see where they purposefully extended their arms out as to brace them selves. All in all I think it is a good video and shows how to handle such a violent wreck, such as the team work, first aid, and taking he couple and their dog to the hospital etc. I am very glad everyone was not seriously hurt.

I understand what is being called "locker creep" but I have never heard it called that. Anyway, I do not think that is what caused this roll. A stalled engine, resulting roll backwards with the down hill tire unfortunately going into a hole, pitching the jeep sideways. All of which while oriented in a side hill position added up to a loss of ability to keep the tires in contact with terra firma. Which I believe is what BH is saying as well.
Thats my 2 cents.

Ya, he didn't roll from creeping sideways, he rolled because as the jeep backed down, the rear tires hit a sidehill and pitched him sideways.

Never heard of locker creep, sounds kinda like crabwalking.

When I read it, thats what I assumed it to be side sliding.

isn't crab walking when you have rear steer and yout axle are turned in the same direction?

I wouldn't say the cause was locker creep, I would say it was a two part error, one is he cut left too soon while going up, the second was that as he began to go back he should have cut to the down hill side (turned wheels left) and that rock didn't help either, and as someone else mentioned, easier said than done. I did see his arm come out as if to stop the fall. The good thing is that they weren't hurt seriously. :???:

Last edited:
It is plain to me what he done,he lost traction I think we all agree,he pushed in the clutch rolled backwards to the bottom with his brakes on lightly when he got to the bottom he stopped which caused the rollover!

automatic or standard you dont hit your brakes coming down a hill backwards and really really dont at that angle

Back