Rotorhead907

Rotorhead907

Hello everyone from Fairbanks, Alaska!! I am new to this forum, so I hope to watch, learn and have fun rebuilding/remodeling my 1980 CJ5 Renegade that my lovely wife bought for me as a wedding gift back in 2010.
Had some rust and damaged front fender issues, but the original owner gave me some new parts and fenders to work with.
I bought a rebuilt 258 engine out of Spokane, WA this past spring. I plan on getting all the parts that I need to order to finish the engine. Trying to find a valve cover for that year was a bit difficult but I found one on e-bay. I plan on dropping a Howell Throttle Body Injection in lieu of a carb. I plan on replacing the original exhaust with a new one.
Question: Since Alaska got rid of emmisions/IM, would it be smart to just hook up the exhaust directly to the exhaust manifold without a catylitic converter or should I go ahead and get a new one and hook it up to it?
Thanks. hope to put pics out there on my project. The only thing my wife promised me was not to love the Jeep more
than her!! :):shock:

First of all, screw the catylitic converter lol, and secondly, hail my Alaskan brother!:twisted: Im down here in Anchorage. So far I don't know of any other 907 troops on this forum but then again, im new here too. You ever get out to jim creek (knik)? Ill be out there next weekend smashin in the CJ-5!

First of all, screw the catylitic converter lol, and secondly, hail my Alaskan brother!:twisted: Im down here in Anchorage. So far I don't know of any other 907 troops on this forum but then again, im new here too. You ever get out to jim creek (knik)? Ill be out there next weekend smashin in the CJ-5!

Hello my Anchorage brother! (If you are still there!) been real busy up here in Fairbanks. Now
I can work on my CJ5 project. Question: I am putting on a new mechanical fuel pump on the new
engine. Do I need to use copper tubing or can I go with a rubber/braided hose to attach to the TBI?

Thanks.

make sure its fuel injection rated rubber tubing and it should work. you will know if you are buying the right hose because fuel injection hose is something like 4x the price per foot as regular hose.

the stock mechanical fuel pump puts out enough pressure for fuel injection? usually stock pumps put out 5-8 or so psi and fuel injection requires 30+ psi

make sure its fuel injection rated rubber tubing and it should work. you will know if you are buying the right hose because fuel injection hose is something like 4x the price per foot as regular hose.

the stock mechanical fuel pump puts out enough pressure for fuel injection? usually stock pumps put out 5-8 or so psi and fuel injection requires 30+ psi

Hello! I plan on putting a plate over where the mechanical pump would go on the new 258 engine.
The TBI should come with an electric fuel pump. Summit has a Chevy plate that should work. Do you know anywhere else?
I found a cast iron 2 barrel intake manifold for the TBI. I plan on using the rest of the year to finish completing the engine with new water pump, oilpan, power steering pump, etc. I am getting the metal valve cover that fits, and the intake to a shop so they can be sandblasted.
For the engine how many coats of primer and high temp paint should I use? Thanks. Will send some pics to you guys.

i have no idea on the block off plate. i would have to google it because my yj has a 99 or 98 block and my son's cj5, we have never had to mess with the fuel pump.

i don;t know on the paint. one or two primer coats and then two or three paint coats would be my very inexperienced guess

Hello folks! Sorry for not putting out any posts. I am restoring my 1980 CJ5 Renegade. I am putting in a rebuilt 258 4.2 liter inline 6 engine. I plan on keeping as much of it as stock as possible. My power steering pump is shot. Does anyone know where I can get another one? I need one that has a single groove pulley wheel for the V-belt. The one I have has the single groove pulley wheel with a smaller pulley wheel in the front, looking towards the fan. I found the stock # on it ( 3216621) Is there a replacement one or is there a jeep restoration place I can get a hold of? Or is there a modern equivilent since they don't make that type anymore? Thanks, Mark.

Try any of the online jeep places. 4wd parts or anything should be able to get it for you

you will probably have to swap pulleys. I just went through this last week, got a new pump and the pulleys didn't line up, got another pump with the single groove pulley and it didn't line up either. I had to get a pulley puller and swap my old pulley onto the new pump and it all lined up fine then.. around here the local auto store will rent you the puller, don't know about Alaska.

What type of pump do you have? I must have had a old school pump because it was held on with a nut and a few taps of the hammer popped it off, the other pumps I bought had the pulley pressed on and needed the puller and the two types do not interchange. A simple pump change kinda turned into a pain for me.
good luck.

Back