Rough Weekend

redrooster

It was a rough weekend at Gray Rock for the CAOS May MAdness event. I saw more carnage than ever. I personally fell victim on two counts.
First off the wife slipped getting out of the Jeep and sprained her ankle.
Second; in a hurry to get her out of there and to te E.R., I slid off the trail and into a deep rut. It was deep enough that when I backed up it was chunked out all the way around. I managed to get it in drive and floor it as the tire tried to pull a 3 foot vertical mud wall to pull out of the rut. At the instance the tire started to pull out, the transfer case must have popped out of gear. It sounded like every tooth in the thing sheared clean off. No front wheel drive after that and the rear was trying to lock up from what must have been loose metal in the case.
Unfortunately that happened on the first afternoon of a 3 day event. We spent a late evening in the E.R. and spectated the rest of the weekend. Gray Rock is set up with many overlooks and we were able to position my Suburban at the top of most of the trails so that my wife did not have to get out on crutches. The Suburban earned the nickname "Rock Bus" (which was written in the dirt on the windows) for some mild wheelin I had to do to get to a few spots. It's got a wheelbase advantage, posi-traction rear and 265 BFG-AT's. Not too shabby.
What's really ironic is that I bought a new Atlas II off a guy on e-bay thursday afternoon and I told him I planned on breaking my old one that weekend. Less than 24 hours later, it was so.
Oh well, maybe next time I will wait until the last day of the event to trash my junk.

Sounds like a pretty action packed weekend! Glad you and your wife got out of there ok and with just a twisted ankle. That sucks about your t-case. Hope you two get the jeep fixed and the ankle healed soon.

Yikes, careful good friend. Look both ways when crossing streets...please! Course, trashing your junk is what it's all about, right?

thats kinda funny because sunday I told my friend I wanted to get stuck....never been....and yeah I got stuck alright....in about 3.5ft of mud/water.....

That is a rough weekend!!! Sorry to hear about the wife's bad wheel. Sounds like she's a real trooper for sticking it out to watch!

Tire Carrier and lift kit

Thanks for all the well wishes. The wifes foot is still swollen and blue but she will make it. I pulled the transfer case off the Jeep Monday night. As I expected, there was an inspection cover full of teeth, about 40 of them. That's more teeth than the Waffle House on saturday night. The larger drive gear that turns the front shaft was missing the most teeth. It had about 20 consecutive teeth missing. It was awesome. The Atlas should be here Monday. I hope to have it in by the end of next week.

Back