Rubicon Express 3.5" Lift Kit

kis86

I have a RE 3.5" lift on my TJ, and the ride is extremely rough. I know that a lot of this has to do with tires as well, but what should I get to help out with the ride? The kit is the standard suspension one:

"The 3.5" Standard kit includes springs, and bump stops, but maintains stock control arms and track bars."

Would a different control arms help out, and which ones?
:???:

It is probably your shocks. What are you running? I would recommend the Rubicon Express monotube shocks.

That kit isn't known for being rough. I'm also curious which shocks you used and what tires you're running.

Have you installed longer than stock lower control arms?

Hmm...i didn't install the lift, so I'll have to get the camera out and take some pics to figure out what I have :)

Longer lower control arms will improve the ride, it will allow the suspension to compress more often instead of sending harshness through the more vertical control arms into the frame.

I finally got the camera out to take some pics...

Attachments

• lift_1.jpg
    lift_1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 941
  • lift_2.jpg
    lift_2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,029
  • lift_3.jpg
    lift_3.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,396

Hard to see the control arm angle, but I would say they are probably fine. RE would not sell a short arm kit for a 3.5 lift if it was going to cause problems. I would look at doing a shock replacement. Looks like oil around the shock boot on the first pic. They are probably shot. For sure you need a new steering stabilizer. That thing looks beat. When you do a lift, and go to larger tires, it's a good idea to beef-up the SS from stock. Also, my personal preference, don't use shock boots. They collect dirt and moisture, and shorten the shocks life-span.

Back