running 33"

Hey mandarrin,

new gears run about $200 per axle, including the install kit. That's if you do the work yourself. The higher the gear ratio (4.88) the better crawl speed for off-road, but your highend speed will suffer. That's why rockwrangler said you'd suffer gettin up to 70. 4.56 geas would be nice if you did some performance mods like Bounty suggested. Don't go over 31" tire without any more lift. I had 31's with my lift shackles and they rubbed over speed bumps or with 4 people in the Jeep. 33's will require a 4" lift in addition to your shackles. I'm getting a 3.5" lift this summer and will keep the lift shackles. I still only plan on going to a 32x11.50 tire on a 15x8 rim. But that's 2 months (or more, depending on wife) down the road.

C[addsig]

It would perform well, but you would be struggling to do 70mph on the highway. 4.88's would be best for 33" tires and a 4cylinder.

C[addsig]

ok.can i put 4.88's with the 31" i got right now and wait a few months to get a lift a the 33" or well that hurt my jeep[addsig]

You can put 31's on right now, but don't go off road, unless you want those fenders to chew into your tire.

C[addsig]

I drove around for year with my 4.88's and 31's.It was very quick. It drove good and fast. But i did feel over geared. Like i had too much gear and not enough tire. Now with the 33's it feels right. Just enough gear and tire. :) [addsig]

It looks like your head is going to explode from too much input so here's some more. Since everybody's driving habits, needs, and skills vary, I would suggest that you do what you want first. It sounds like you WANT the 33's on your Jeep pretty bad, so I'd put the lift on first (you'll need 4"). After putting the lift and tires on just run it for a bit to see what else you're gonna NEED. For your driving (on and off road), you may do just fine with the 2.5L stock gearing, if not then spend the cash and keep on going with the project. I wouldn't spend the extra money on gearing first and then find out that you've overgeared for your situation. If you need just a little more gear off-road remember that you have 4Lo. Just my .02 :) [addsig]

Back