Shift lever came loose

toneal

Well I finally got my top off for the first time this weekend and decided to go for a ride in my new(old) jeep, and I was feeling pretty good for about half a mile. I stopped at a light, and when I went to go again, I found that my shift lever wasn't doing it's job anymore, it had come completely loose. After looking pretty stupid for a few minutes with people having to go around me, I figured out that I was still in second gear, so I crawled through the intersection to a parking lot.

I walked home, got my truck and tools, and came back and pulled the boot off and this is basically what I saw, except that the wire you see in the picture was loose which let the pins come out and the lever spin freely -
image-missing.png

Looks like the previous owner made a quick fix.. Anyway, I've been looking around the online parts stores, and I can't figure out what exactly is SUPPOSED to be there - the chilton's manual is no help with the pins, but it shows a boot over the shift lever retainer..

So my questions are: Are these the right pins? What is supposed to be used to hold them in place? What parts do I need to get to get this thing back the way it's supposed to be? Do I even have the right shift lever?

The transmission is a T-176..

edited by: toneal, Mar 11, 2003 - 07:28 PM[addsig]

Yes, they are the right pins. This set-up on the T-176, uses the two pins that are "pressed" in, actually pushed in, tight fit. Then you stick the safety wire into the pin holes and wrap it around like it shows in your photo. There is also a rubber boot that fits over top of this, it also helps keep the pins intact. I purchasd a shifter lever repair kit, from 4WD.com, (4wd hardware) . It contains everything you need. part # SLR176K :roll:

edited by: joeycj5, Mar 11, 2003 - 10:57 PM[addsig]

Ok I saw that repair kit before, but it didn't look like it contained anything to hold the pins in.. My pins are not tight at all, they wouldn't even start to stay in if the wire wasn't real tight..

Does a new wire with some kind of locking mechanism come with the kit? I can't believe that you're just supposed to wrap the wire around and twist it on itself like mine is - seems like it would just work itself out over time and come loose again..

Thanks for the help..
[addsig]

the new pins may be a bit oversized, I struggled to push them in place. Then the wire definetly keeps them there.[addsig]

Back