"skool me" on track bars

firestarter

So I've been reading up on track bars and am wondering why so many of the aftermarket ones fail, also what are the weak links in them, and what actually happens when they fail .... lets say ... on the highway?

Now I know RockKrawler seems to get a lot of flack (a few years ago) but I'm currently running their crazy strong (4.5" lift) track bar and haven't had any issues.

In general it seems way way way stronger than the stock one... Seems solid and as the marketers say 'bombproof'.

If your track bar failed on the highway then your front axle would be able to move side to side, and you'd effectively loose the ability to steer.

I personally don't see that many track bars failing. I think it's more common for the bushings to become worn and allow play. This allows the front axle to wiggle and is a common contributor to most cases of death wobble.

Terry,

Thanks. It seems as though you'd still have *some* ability to steer since the draglink would be in-tact and the axle would be somewhat held in place by the links (I currently have a long-arm 4 link, not the lower arm y-link style).

If you do a quick google search for failing track bars a number of results will show up.....

As far as death wobble goes, holy crap, I experienced that a while back at 65mph and that's one hell of a ride. Almost like the jeep came down with cancer.

Back