Smitty-built Tube Fender Opinions?

shiftclick

Considering going with some Smitty-built tube fenders. Does anyone have an opinion either way? I've heard bad stuff and "meh" stuff about Smitty-built quality.

Thanks!

Shiftclick

the smitty-built on my wife's wrangler is really thin metal. i mean it looks fine it is sure not going to do anything if you bump something. we have the tube bumper front with the raised center, like you would normally see on jeeps anywhere. we have some other brand rear bumper that the tube is a hair thicker. i can't remember the brand though.

after seeing how thin the tuns on the smitty is, and seeing the broken mount welds, i will not buy one myself. i imagine it is just because they are such a large company and when you get to a certain size, quality starts going down to meet production numbers and be competitively priced. if you just want looks, they are fine.

construction is ok I guess, they don't use DOM tubing, they use a leser quality hrew. also as mentioned, the material is pretty thin, I think it specs out to about 16-18 ga which is what stock fenders are roughly. My biggest gripe is $$$

I built my own tube fenders and did it for almost next to nothing. If you can and have a welder, I suggest White Rhino Fab DYI fender kit. It will require trimming and grinding to get the primo fit, but IMHO it is one of the better kits out there and costs considerably less than the smitty built.

Back