Snow plow on a Jeep???

TwistedCU

Who has tried it? How effective are they?

I'm thinking of getting one for my (gravel) driveway. I'd put it on the 91 YJ.

A snowblower scares me as I could launch gravel :shock:

A small tractor/loader is real expensive but that is a last resort.

Shoveling it by hand is killing my back.

Would I be wasting my money because the Jeep is so light or would it serve it's purpose?

I'd like to hear mostly from firsthand accounts of those who have actually used them, but welcome any comments.

Thanks in advance...

I've seen CJ7s outfitted with a plow, but have never ran one. I've used a quad though and it was quite effective, so I'd imagine a Jeep would be really good at it.

My uncle has one on his old stock cj-5 . He has a really long drive way and says it works quite well . I also thought it would be to light.

I have seen tons of YJ's with plow over the years. I even drove one with a plow on it, when looking to buy a Jeep. I hear they do a great job as long as the snow is under a foot. As far a handling a plow, better get some helper spring or add a leafs. The front ends sag real bad.

we pay a guy 20 bucks for every snow storm. And we call him if we want it so he doesnt show up with a inch. that might be a cheaper alternative because its already mid feb.

we pay a guy 20 bucks for every snow storm. And we call him if we want it so he doesnt show up with a inch. that might be a cheaper alternative because its already mid feb.

Yeah but I'll use it every year. maybe even make a few bucks with it ;)

then by all means its a good idea. Exspecially making a few bucks. You could do your whole street for 10 bucks a house and make what 100 bucks? no one likes to shovel!

There are literally dozens of guys around Wichita with plows on everything from CJ's to YJ's to TJ's, and even one I saw on an old Willy's. I talked to a couple guys during the last big snow we had (9"), one with a YJ and one with a TJ. Both were lifted, the YJ had a 4-banger, the TJ a six, and they both said they worked great with no problems. I watched the guy in the YJ for a while and it seemed to work just as well as the full-sized 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy trucks we use at work, if not better. I've considered getting one for the YJ, too. 'Round these parts, you can pay for it with one decent snowstorm.

There's a dealership around here that plows their lot with an old rusted out CJ-8. Works for them...

I used to have a plow on my YJ. It worked great. I could plow places that large trucks couldn't handle getting into. I made a bit of money with it.

It did take toll on my frame though, so I took it off. I've been trying to sell it for a couple years now

I have plowed with both CJs and YJs. They plow small areas great. But not as well as a quad with a plow. You could spend the same on a used quad with a plow as buying a plow for your Jeep. Plows are really rough on the Jeeps suspension.

Back