So which JEEP do I need???

J-Daddy

OK, I've never owned a JEEP before of anykind but I've been wanting one pretty badly for the past couple of years...I always wanted a Wrangler because of the option of popping the top off in warm weather and they just look cool lifted up with some wheels on them....BUT, I'm married with 3 small kids and I'm afraid I'm not gonna have the room with a Wrangler for the wife, kids & car seats...I gotta 1 year old so she's gonna be in a car seat for a few more years before she hits big girl status. My other 2 are big enough to ride without the car seat.
It's not like the JEEP would be our only means of transportation, we have a newer Chevy Suburban too, but there are times we'd all end up in there together.
So, the more I look at the Cherokee Sports that people have lifted with 33"s on them and the big roof racks the more I like them...I guess my only concern is this...Will a Cherokee offroad like the Wrangler does? I know a Wrangler based JEEP will go like crazy, but I didnt know about the Cherokee since it's more of a grocery getter. Keep inmind anything I get will hopefully have the 4.0 in it and it'll be lifted with probably around 33's on it.
So which one do I need? I'm in Kentucky right now and I'm not looking to build a rock crawling rig, just a daily driver that I can still get in a mudhole if need be. But, I might be moving to Colorado in the near future so I'll need something that'll handle the rougher roads out there since I'm sure I'll be ELK & Mule Deer hunting alot if we move out there....Hunting and fishing is about all I do anymore in my free time if I aint trying to run the kids down before they break something else.
What do you JEEP guru's think would fit me best?????????

Cherokees can fit more groceries but they sure aren't grocery getters. I've seen one outwheel a wrangler plenty of times. Now with that said i drive a wrangler and i love it. If the trails you plan on riding for hunting aren't serious rock climbing trails i'd say both vehicles are good to go there. Wrangler's turning radius would be better if you get off a trail and need to wind through trees, but it's kinda hard to fit an elk in the back of a wrangler. There's a stock cherokee sitting down the road from me for sale at $2,500(wasn't your limit like 7k?). For 2.5k you could put a lift and tires on there and still be under 7.

I have had 3 wranglers (92, 88, and now a 91) and an XJ Cherokee (XJ's are the Cherokee, not the Grand Cherokee).

First of all, and XJ will allow 2 kids and a car seat, but there won't be much shoulder room. I've done that. I have done 2 car seats and my son in between (he was 9 back then). He was a bit crowded but it worked.

As for offroad, the cherokee is extremely capable. I had a 2000 with a 4 1/2" lift and 32" tires. I never once thought "I couldv'e made that if I had my old Wrangler". It was a great daily driver too. I sold it because I needed a better (more fuel efficient) commuter when I moved to PA from MD but kept working in MD. I bought another Wrangler (a 91 YJ) for the trails and a Jetta to commute in.

The Wranglers only seat four. I'm not gonna lie to ya, I missed having one when I had the XJ. The top and doors off is well... there's nothing like it. Cool vehicles, but if it's too small for you buy an XJ. It's the next best thing.

Another thing to consider is to buy an older one as a 3rd vehicle and get a commuter/kiddie hauler for everyday use. That's what I finally ended up doing.

Now every time I see a lifted XJ I get the feeling I had when I owned one and saw a YJ. It's a brutal disease this love for Jeeps!

No doubt both are extremely capable off-road. And it sounds as if you aren't going to be doing anything hardcore that will require a shorter wheelbase. But either way, they both perform very well off road. Each has it's positive points and it's limitations. I've driven XJ's and they are nice on the road (though I've never taken one off road), and they do have a bit more room for the family. I can't imagine taking a family of 5 on a trip in the YJ....where the heck would I put the luggage? Unless you get a roof rack system, you are going to be cramped in the SWB Jeeps. Plus, the police, at least the KHP, tend to frown on seeing a toddler in a car seat up on the roof rack........

Well, I'm all For WJ (Grand Cherokee 99-04) if you want to do some off-road and Still go to the store, though There are not as much aftermarket parts as there are wranglers and XJ but is enough out to put on to get where u need to go if your not doing any serious rock climbing, I just put a set of Super nerfs on, 2" budget Lift, and am waiting on my brush guard to come in on monday *8-14-06* then I'm going to update photos and post ;) still gota get me the Yakama Roofrack, and Rear steel bumper with Tire carrier then it is off to the minor stuff like Lots of Lights and winch and Bigger Lift and Tires, ah now i'm sitting here obsessing over my jeep, but anyways the point I'm getting at is WJ's are VERY capable offroad machines also, Have taken my jeep alot of places that I prob shouldn't... ok I KNOW is shouldn't have without the super nerfs or atleast better tires but was all fun. THough I am going to get me a wrangler, there is NO WAY i'm going to get rid of my WJ, its more of a let the Mrs. have the wj, so "we" (mostly I) can get another Jeep *Serious Rock climber*, that way she has a vehicle that I do like to drive ;) her little cavalier is WAY TO SMALL for me to drive, I feel like im in a go kart ;) Anyways, I guess it's all Personal taste as to what to get, 7k you can get a WJ in great shape, just have to do some looking around staying away from dealers for the most part.

If you're going to haul 3 kids AND your wife then the CJ/YJ/TJ is OUT - no way around that.

When my kids were younger I had an XJ and hauled them all over the place. We had a blast in it and truthfully I don't think I could've gone anywhere in a stock short-wheelbase that I didn't go in that Cherokee. The only reason I got rid of it was that the wife needed something a little easier to get the car seats in and out of.

Laph said:
Well, I'm all For WJ (Grand Cherokee 99-04)

Had a ZJ and a WJ and I agree that these would be a good choice. I love my XJ though and they look so good lifted. The grands have more room inside and have a better highway ride ( also, the available V8 ). It's hard not to reccomend the 4.0 XJ. I have owned 8 different Jeeps and the XJ is my favorite for everyday driver/wheelin. Keep us posted.

Yeah, I've been leaning more towards an XJ just because of the extra room in them...I thought about a Grand Cherokee, but honestly I think the XJ's look better lifted than the Grand's do. I wont be doing any hardcore rock crawling, atleast not around here in KY...Not alot to be done in my area, but some of the land I bowhunt on tends to get pretty muddy and rutted out where they run tractors in there all fall & winter picking crop feilds of corn & soybeans so I need something that can handle that kinda crap.
If we gotta do a road trip we do have the Chevy burb, so room isnt a concern with it..Though the wife is wanting a new H2 Hummer for some reason.
I just dont care to have to make any more car payments than I need too, I'm cool with driving something a few years old, doesnt bother me as much then when I put a dent in it or a scratch on it. She's a business woman "Health Care Administrator" so she's gotta be stylin' & profilin' all the time...I'm just an old redneck KY, country boy...I prefer mud & Mossy Oak camo to her business suits, lol....

What's the best amount of lift & what brand for the XJ's and whats the best size tires for handling? I want something that drives good on the road, but with alot of clearance so I dont get stuck in ruts...I'd like to have atleast 4" of lift if possible and it still drive good and not be super twitchy like my buddies Wrangler X with the lift & 35"s on it...That thing is a pain in the butt to drive, it's all over the road.

you need a SJ! the grad wagoneers are bad a$$, 6" bj's lift and some 33's, will fit a family of 6 no problem. the newest you will find is a 1991.

Thats what my wife wants me to get once we move to Cali. That way we can all go. I lpersonally liek the '07 4 door and look forward to owning someday. Family truckster we can take off roading.

Sparky-Watts said:
it sounds as if you aren't going to be doing anything hardcore that will require a shorter wheelbase.
All the shorter wheelbase does for ya is get you over single obstacles. Most guys stretch the wheelbase of Wranglers and CJ's if they start to really get into rocks.

The XJ's wheelbase is shorter than an Unlimited ;)

J-Daddy said:
What's the best amount of lift & what brand for the XJ's and whats the best size tires for handling? I want something that drives good on the road, but with alot of clearance so I dont get stuck in ruts...I'd like to have atleast 4" of lift if possible and it still drive good and not be super twitchy like my buddies Wrangler X with the lift & 35"s on it...That thing is a pain in the butt to drive, it's all over the road.

What kind of $$$ are we talking here. a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift kit with a set of 31's would be a good start. It'll clear 32's if you trim the wheelwells a bit and maybe change the flares to Bushwhacker or a set of TJ flares. A long-arm kit would be the best all around suspension. Once you get past 3" lifts the short-arms can make for a rough ride. I had a 4.5" short arm on mine and it was stiff, but it was liveable. If I had kept it I wanted to go long arm for both the sweet ride on the street and also the awesome wheel travel that comes with them.

Brands to check out: Rubicon Express, BDS, Full Traction, Clayton, Skyjacker, Rusty's offroad... there are so many it's tough to say which is "best". It depends on price range, how big the lift will be, whether it'll be with short or long arms...

J-Daddy said:
the wife is wanting a new H2 Hummer for some reason.

DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN! They do not belong in the same driveway!!

Back