Sound from rear end

Cyanide

I was recently given a 1997 Wrangler Sport with the 4.0, manual transmission, dana 35 3.55 ratio and limited slip, and all kinds of dents and dings :D

It has 181xxx miles on it and I have noticed a sound coming from the rear end. The best way I can describe it is kind of a rolling popping sound. Almost as if something is binding up and then popping loose. It only makes it when I start from a dead stop. It seems to get louder when I am turning at low speeds as well i.e. pulling into a parking spot. It does not happen all the time but more so after I have been at speeds above 55mph. It does not make any noise once I am above 10mph or so.

i have already thought of several things it might be but I figured I would drop a line in here and see if anyone has had a similar issue before I just start taking things apart. I have not had much time to get under it so I have not been able to do much in-depth checking but I am going to try and do so soon. I have already added bearings, diff fluid, rear brakes, and U-joints to my list of things to look at. I am going to see how the fluid looks and most likely change it regardless making sure I add the limited slip additive. Next on the list to check is to see if the bearings are chewed up but I do not think that is the issue since it does not make noise at speed. That same reason makes me think it is not a bent axle as that would cause a bad vibration I am sure. A friend of mine has a 93 (I think) cherokee that makes a noise sometimes and he said it is from his brakes so I figure I will look at those as well even though I am having not issues at all with braking.

Any ideas or pointers would be great!

First thing I would do is replace the rear drive shaft U-joints, then I would take a serious look at the rear axle and think about a little refreshing, pinion seal, new fluid and gasket and inspect the gears while in there.

Back