Speedo correction

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
What is everyone using for speedo correction these days? I've got 33s along with a mega short SYE (an electronic speed sensor), so I can't just swap in a new gear. I've found a number of possibilities:

Dakota Digital - $85
Universal Speedometer Signal Interface
A couple of people have recommended this.

SpeedoHealer - $160
Blue Monkey Motorsports, Inc. : : : : HealTech Electronics SpeedoHealer (R): Product Overview
I'm leaning towards this one - it's a simple plug and play install, and offers a few extra features. I like that I don't have to splice into factory lines.

Superlift TruSpeed - $225
Superlift TruSpeed Speed Sensor Recalibrators 33002 - SummitRacing.com
More than I'd want to spend for a device I have to splice inline.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Speedo Healer, but wanted to see if there were any other options.

Jet performance is also an option . I've used it on TJ's and on my CJ after converting my gauges to the Autometer ultralite series.

Correction: I just checked to get the product number and they don't seem to have that anymore except for performance chips and programmers . My next choice out of you line up would be the Dakota digital. I have that on my Bike with the matching gauge. Great quality and dependable.

As you know I run the Dakota Digital unit. Relatively simple install but far from a plug and play. Instructions were okay.

I'm going to give the Speedo Healer a try. I found a 10% off code, so the total is $154 shipped. Not as cheap as the Dakota unit ($95 shipped), but I think the plug and play install may be worth it to me. They make a pretty compelling case with their install video:

Thanks for the input guys. I'll report back on how it performs.

I never corrected my speedo after doing gears and tires/wheels. I ran the Jeep in Drive at 30/40/50/60/70/80 mph indicated speed on the speedometer (using cruise control to hold steady at each speed), and then observed the corresponding actual speed on my GPS. I then made a table that shows Indicated Speed Vs Actual Speed, and put it on a laminated card. Of course, this only works for one particular gear, which for me was Drive (3rd). I figured that lower speeds would not be an issue, so I don't worry about them and just drive with the speed of traffic. This process has worked good for me for several years.

I then made a table that shows Indicated Speed Vs Actual Speed, and put it on a laminated card.

That's a great idea for a manual Jeep, but from what I understand the automatic transmission uses the vehicle speed (from the speedometer) to set the shift points. If your speedo is off then your transmission will shift at either to low, or to high of RPMs.

Back