speedometer run backwords

Mark 47 willys

I just got a 47 willys and the spedo worked some-what for the first day but would bounce around. The cable was bad so I replaced it, and the spedo did not work at all. New spedo and it will not work. Tested the old spedo with a drill motor and it would work in reverse (counter clock), tested the new and same thing. Drove the jeep and the cable runs clockwise. The old & new spedo's run counter clockwise? What is going on???

+Talking to people they say the cable from the transfer case should run counter clock wise. Pulled the driven gear and it is worn out a bit. So I will look for a new driven gear for a Dana / Spicer? 18 case.

Well it comes down to your point of view! Looking at the speedo cable when driving the jeep it is going clock wise,but if you look at it from behind the dash it is running counter clock wise! SO: the driven gear must not be turning at all in my case! I am looking for a driven gear and hope it will fix the speedo. If not I would have to remove the drive gear and see what it looks like.

Back