Spray In Bed Liner

Crusader

Well, I finally got around to spraying the liner in my tub yesterday. I went with the Duplicolor product, figuring at half the price of the Herculiner, it was a gamble worth taking. I can always buy a spray can or two more to touch up/add depth, if needed.

Anyway, I sprayed it in, and it did not work as I expected. I don't know if it was the gun (undercoating) I used, or my compressor, or what, but the stuff came out a lot thicker and "gloppier" than I thought it would. I shook the can for over two minutes before I started, but the material still seemed to have some "lumps." I had the compressor up to about 65 psi (directions say 30 psi minimum) and had thinned the product with some acetone, per directions. I thought I would end up with a smooth, flat surface, but it ended up bumpy/textured. It isn't so bad, really, as the texture gives it some grip. I used up all the gallon can of material, as it did not go as far as I thought it would (because it came out thicker). Maybe I should have cranked the psi way up. At any rate, it looks pretty good and we will see how it lasts. If I had to do it over again, I would probably roll it on, as you have much more control over where the stuff is going and how thick it will be applied.

Thanks to those who gave me suggestions and assistance with this.

Post some pictures. I'd love to see how it came out.

I used the duplicolor the first time and wasn't to impressed with it. I rolled it on and it seemed way to thin( seems the oposite of your problem though) Did you thin it out before you try'd to spray it? I went to herculiner the 2nd time and rolled it and was much happier with the results. Been 4 years and still holding up good.

Yeah, I did thin it with acetone. It was a very humid day, which may have affected it. But, the more I think about it, I figure maybe I should have cranked up the pressure on the compressor, maybe to 80 or 90 psi. Anyway, while it did not turn out as expected, the texture is kind of cool. I will take some digital pics and if I can figure out how to post them here, will do so.

I think the idea is that it comes out lumpy. The point of bedliner is to add a textured layer of protection to the surface it is being sprayed on. I think you did it right, so don't worry about it. I hope it holds out well. Good luck.

I think it is probably fine . I had my truck bed sprayed with rhino lining and it was bumpy and thick too. Threw concrete and big logs in back and never even dented it! I want to do something to the inside of my jeep too,but haven't made up my mind yet.

i also used the duplicolor and it utrned out great. i rolled it on and followed the instructions to the tee. rolling it on with a textured brush works awesome

I did the spray on bedliner and it came out great everywhere except in the front where the stock sealant was on the floor, it refuses to dry.

Back