Springs, bushings and such

While searching for info on leaf springs I kept running into replies to posts suggesting body bushings. Ok I'll admit this is a new one to me. I'm guessing if you wanted to add tires to big to fit under your fenderwells you could raise your body up a bit with the bushings. What if you didn't want to lift the body, but wanted to just replace the stock bushings. i have only actually looked at the rear corner bushings and they look ok, But looks can be deceiving. If I wanted to check the other bushings out are there certain ones that deteriorate faster than the rest. Would it be prudent to spend 50 or 60 bucks just to have piece of mind that they are new?

Now on the leaf springs it seems that you can buy the kits that give you a lift cheaper than some of the stock sized leaf kits. How big of a lift can you add before you need to start lengthening the drive shafts and changing the angle of the transfer case and all that other tweeking associated with lifting the jeep. Honestly other than the fact that my front springs are flat and the rear ones are iffy on their condition I dont think I need a lift, but if 2 inches does not need any other suspension changes I wouldn't mind adding it.

Man its tough being a new owner of a 32 year old vehicle that the previous owners just let go.
Jim

On the body bushings: You can get stock replacement bushings, or a body lift which is only thicker bushings. Replacing your body bushings and/or spring bushings can make a huge diff in how your jeep rides provided the body mount area isn't rusted away and is still solid. You can get a 2 1/2" lift with no modifications to tcase or dshafts, I would get extended steel braided brake lines though. Your not replacing the whole line, just a short section that go,s from the frame down to the brakes in the front, and from the center cross member down to the brake lines on top of your rear axle in the back. This will allow your suspension to move more with out tearing your existing rubber brake lines apart off road. There should be 10 or 11 body mount bushings.

Ooops. forgot about the brake lines. Did that to the Cherokee. I'll just go with the stock body mounts If I can find them all and verify the need. Speings are definately needed. thanks

Ooops. forgot about the brake lines. Did that to the Cherokee. I'll just go with the stock body mounts If I can find them all and verify the need. Speings are definately needed. thanks

The body mounts are sold in kits normally........ Check Quadratec, Morris 4X4, etc. I got a really good deal on mine from Amazon!

What model and year Jeep are you working on?

There are 11 body mounts on a YJ, the mounts above the rear axle will be difficult to inspect. A 1" or 1.25" body lift is common and not unsightly. It can increase tire clearance and raise your center of gravity less than with a spring lift, which is always a plus. Also gives more room to move your drivetrain up if you decide to later on.

Yep I made a tiny effort to look at a few of them yetserday. None of them are split all the way through but I might as well have metal washers under there they are so hard.

Back